What type of monument is this ?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Hi all.....
Took an extra day off with my better half and headed to the woods with a pic-a-nic lunch and dog. No plans, just drive and explore and see where the road led us. While not looking for anything particular but admiring the lack of civilization we stumbled across this:View attachment 548

Now I have been reading your postings about stones, monuments, etc. but the best I could do was determine that it was most likely a property marker because of the area that we found it. We did know that we were in the vicinity of older private property, but not that close. And why would it be at the edge of a river? One good flood could wash it away, yes/no? It also seemed that there may at one time have been a bridge at the site. Do these stones mark bridge locations?
Am I permitted to discuss on site where I found this if it is on public land? Don't go GPS on me yet! I like the romanticism and imagination involved with being an explorer......... (until I stumble across the first beer can) :mad:
Perhaps being new to the site I am unaware that this is where you have your "Annual NJPB Spring Celebration" and you all know of it's existence already!
If these questions are redundant, which I am sure of, please lead me to the area where I can read up. Always a pleasure to learn new material.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_0757 (2).jpg
    100_0757 (2).jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 207

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would have to say it is a Bass River State Forest Monument. You can tell that because it has the BR on it. And being by a river is a common occurrence because most property in the pines years ago ended at the center of the river. When the state purchases the property and survey's it, they put the monument along the rivers edge. The actual survey will say how far from that monument it is to the center of the river. Sometimes they even put that info right on the monument.

Notice the BR

br.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Am I permitted to discuss on site where I found this if it is on public land?

For a monument like this go right ahead, for a stone that is inscribed I would delete the post :)

Guy