what's burning?

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
It was just south of Bombing Range Road behind the shotgun range. I don't know how in 'control' it was. I shot some VIDEO and took some PICTURES.

4446518946_74f0353d38.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a great video! I am assuming the video was making the blades seem like they were moving slow, because it seems like it should have crashed. That is a good way to fish :)

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The plains always burn nasty, whether it’s a prescribed burn or a wildfire. As long as the prescribed burn stays within its boundaries, it’s all good. The low, slow burns you see done elsewhere reduce fuel and help with wildfire prevention but do little to mimic the wildfires that most fire-adapted pine barrens species need. Some like it hot.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Cool pictures. Must have been quite a fire if you could see the smoke from AC. I live in the middle of the woods, so I understand the need to protect property, but repeated controlled burns make for some ugly and unnatural looking forests IMO. I suppose it may be a necessary evil.

With all the rain we've had and the standing water, it's hard to imagine that a fire could have started without a lot of help. Helicopters and fire fighters aren't cheap. I wonder how much was spent putting that fire out?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Phenomenal video, man! What luck. Really enjoyed the segment of them filling up. Imagine the dead weight of that load of water. Now imagine it sloshing around. /hats-off.

Guy, the blades on the chopper do seem slow because of the video. I don't know how many frames per second the Nikon is shooting, but I think an average light copter rotates at around 400 RPM or so.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
“With all the snow and rain last weekend, the ground is wet. Areas that are normally high-ground got soggy, so I’m having a hard time moving equipment through the woods,” Plante said.

With all that rain it is amazing to see the woods burning.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I could smell the smoke (and almost taste it, too) all the way up in Brick last night.

The one in Barnegat is up to 250 acres and has changed direction to the NW. There is also one around Beachwood/Toms River but don't have any specifics, just a lot of sirens this morning.

swizzol

Feb 10, 2009
Great Photos!

Nice photos!

I saw the plume from the Apple Pie Hill Tower, but just thought it was a controled burn.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I put together a 'B' roll of other shots of the fire in another VIDEO.

Governors Pond sure is a busy place during fires. I bet the people from the bombing range are happy they did not start it.

Thanks!

Guy