Where I went today

B

BarryC

Last night in a phone conversation with Keith, a former co-worker, I mentioned something I had read about Cape May Diamonds. He said "Hey, why don't we go down there tomorrow and look for some?" I thought it was a great idea, and I figured we could stop at other spots along the way, and afterward.
So today he came down and we went out exploring. First I drove him by the site of Dr. Smith's Neutral Water Health Resort in Egg Harbor City, and then by the water tower to see all the vultures hanging out up there. Then on to the Wawa and then we headed down Route 50, to Route 9, all the way down to Cape May Point.
First we took Route 9 to its end where we drove past the Ferry landing, to a small park along the water. There are 4 cats living there that people are feeding. They were very nice cats. After that we went back up Route 9 for a couple miles and drove 109 through Cape May and West Cape May to Cape May Point. From the parking lot of the state park we walked to the beach and saw a World War 2 bunker that is on pilings in the water. The sign said it was built on high ground 900 feet inland from the water's edge!

Then we drove down to Sunset Beach/Diamond Beach, went in a little shop there (where the owner had 2 very nice cats), and then looked through the stones at the water's edge for Cape May Diamonds. We each picked up a couple of handfuls, plus some other interesting stones. What I read about Cape May Diamonds is that they can be polished and cut just like diamonds. That's pretty neat.
We then went up to the Parkway and got off on Route 47 and drove to a few places that I thought Keith might be interested in. First we went down the Moore's Beach Road, just as far as the first water hole in the road, just to give him an idea of what the place is like. Then we went to the Thompson's Beach Road to the little parking area and looked around there for a bit. There were a whole bunch of dead Horseshoe Crabs that apparently had gotten stranded at the last high tide. Some were completely intact with body, legs, tail, etc. We then drove to the East Point Lighthouse and then headed back to 47 and up Hand's Mill Road and I pointed out the abandoned schoolhouse that I said we will all see on our outing coming up, whenever we finally go.
I followed that road all the way up to 548 and to 49, making a right and going past the Head-of-the-River Church, taking the shortcut back up to Route 50. Along the roads near the church I pointed out the dirt road to the Etna Furnace site and I showed him the giant oak tree along the road. I think it's either Etna Drive or Head of River Road. I forget. Going up Route 50 I told him about the Estellville, Belcoville and Walker's Forge sites in the area.
So at a later date I will be taking him back to some of the areas we went to today as well as the last 3 places I mentioned.
It was a great day. Keith got a preview of the Thompson's Beach outing and both of us went home with a bunch of Cape May Diamonds :p
Barry

B

bach2yoga

Sounds like fun. I remember collecting Cape May diamonds as a kid, and now my kids love to do it. That is a nice little shop there. Did you stop and see the lighthouse right down the road?
I have a picture in my album of the bunker you mentioned. My kids love looking at it when we go. You can't swim on that beach because there are too many things underwater, and because the riptides are too dangerous, so you can only go up to your midcalf or so. But the view of the dolphins there is great. A lot of times we stop at Bennett's bogs or Higbee's beach on the way back. The Cape May canal down there was built during WWII because of all the German subs.
Cape May is a fascinating place.

Renee