where to fish?

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I have been looking for a good spot for my husband to go fishing. I recently moved to Browns Mills and thought there would be alot of places, but no. All the Mirror Lakes are posted private, one lake I found in Whiting was a park like setting with a beach. What about Bamber Lake. I really didn't want to travel that far from home and thought there was something closer. Any good ideas?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
There is alot of good fishing in Browns Mills. Mirror Lake is good. You can park in that little area comming from lakehurst road along the eastern shore (just over the first bridge). The parking is limited though. There is also Pemberton lake, which is heavily fished but always seems well stocked. there are about a million spots in country lakes (try right along the bridge south of the wawa, there is parking) and down by route 70 you have lebanon lake and PL lake (if they ever refill it.) there are also a whole lotta bogs and rivers around. You are actually in a very happening fishing area, especially if you like lake fishing.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff should know! We were meeting a few people I believe along Quaker Bridge Road and Jeff pulled out the fishing rod and fished a few minutes before they came. Where there is water to fish, you will find Jeff :)

Guy

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
What about Bamber Lake.

Mostly pickerel in Bamber, but I have on occasion caught some bass, they're just few and far between. This is the case with almost all the pines' ponds, lakes, and creeks. Trout season is just around the corner and flounder in the bay opens the 23rd. Stripers aren't too far off either.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
New Saltwater Law

"Under a new federal law, most New Jersey saltwater recreational fishermen will be required to register with the new National Saltwater Angler Registry before they go fishing in 2010. The Saltwater Angler Registry is part of an improved data program to help protect the long-term sustainability of recreational fishing." http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/registryinfo.htm

This year free. next year we PAY.
just thought this was good a place as any to post this.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Stripers opened on the 1st, they are getting them in the Toms. No closed season in the ocean 0-3 miles offshore.
I just meant they'd be heating up soon. Saw some in the bay chasing schools and there's tons of bunker about. Should be a good spring. I dont get too into stripers til May/June when it becomes an addiction for me.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
"Under a new federal law, most New Jersey saltwater recreational fishermen will be required to register with the new National Saltwater Angler Registry before they go fishing in 2010. The Saltwater Angler Registry is part of an improved data program to help protect the long-term sustainability of recreational fishing." http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/registryinfo.htm

This year free. next year we PAY.
just thought this was good a place as any to post this.
Im all for this and don't mind paying next year, so long as this crooked state uses the revenue and data properly. These types of programs have worked well for other states (pretty sure Florida does this and the monies go towards helping the salt fishery).

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Im all for this and don't mind paying next year, so long as this crooked state uses the revenue and data properly. These types of programs have worked well for other states (pretty sure Florida does this and the monies go towards helping the salt fishery).
i agree. same reason i pay to camp, but never show up at that camp site. as long as it goes back to from which it came.:)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

This is a fed program from NOAA, no money comes back to NJ. It will most likely become the same as the HMS permit needed to fish for the highly migratory species, such as tuna and shark. The permits were free for awhile, then the fee's began, up to $20/yr now. The money from those permits have no effect on the fisheries, rather it is used to conduct the surveys. There is very little you can do to improve oceanic fisheries, especially migratory ones. There has been little change in tuna numbers with the pay-for permit and shark numbers are going down.

As far as NJ goes, the Marine Fisheries bureau does nothing to improve the coastal fisheries habitat. They conduct surverys and research, set limits and size restrictions; very similar to what NOAA does.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Actually, Florida requested we purchase a salt water license the last time we went (a little off topic, but this is what I was thinking of in my previous post, not what NJ is now doing). Last timne in the keys we didnt need the license when we chartered, but did on the flats when out on a friend's skiffs. This is the money the state of Florida uses to help improve the salt water fishery. I disagree with you 46er, there is much you can do to improve a salt water fishery, maybe just not as much for migratory fishing. Start with keeping the waters clean and pick up from there. The revenue in FL is divided as follows:

"The money generated from this license will go directly to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC). These funds are distributed as follows: 62.5 percent for marine fisheries research and management, which includes fishing statistics development, development of artificial reefs and fish hatcheries; 30 percent for law enforcement; and 7.5 percent for administration. All monies stay in the State of Florida."

I wouldnt really object to a license here if I knew the money would be used properly. Maybe not such a bad idead with the shape NJ is in.

pickerelfisher

Apr 9, 2009
Forked River
I have been looking for a good spot for my husband to go fishing. I recently moved to Browns Mills and thought there would be alot of places, but no. All the Mirror Lakes are posted private, one lake I found in Whiting was a park like setting with a beach. What about Bamber Lake. I really didn't want to travel that far from home and thought there was something closer. Any good ideas?

If you're talking about Harry Wright Lake in Whiting, I'm almost positive there is no fishing allowed. Bamber is just OK...you'll catch small pickerel. I've seen small bass swimming around, but never caught one. Bamber is hard to fish from the shore once the lillys come up. You'll need a boat for any good summer fishing there. It's a little far for you, but the best spring fishing I've had in the area is Colliers Mills (about 15 minutes up 539N from Whiting). I've caught nice sized pickerel, bass, perch & sunnies from the shore there before the summer weed growth overtakes the lake. It's better to fish Colliers Mills from a boat in the summer, but spring shore fishing has been great for me. Also, Stafford Forge has big pickerel, bass & sunnies. Again, best fished from a boat in the summer, but goood shore fishing in the spring. I've caught big pickerel in the 3rd bog...heard the 2nd bog is good for bass. Caught small pickerel in the 1st bog (as soon as you get there). Have fun!

jpiney

Mar 14, 2010
All the Mirror Lakes are posted private

i dont know what part of mirror lake you were looking at but those lakes are NOT PRIVATE!!

reelboys

Scout
Dec 22, 2008
holy park nj
bass on fly

Took these on fly in wartown chanel tr bass..jpg

Seven Bridges near Mystic Islands is a good spot. The Wading River Bridge is also a decent place if you don't mind the cars going by. Try turtle creek at the end of the road by the same name if you want some real peace and solitude...

How many if not countless happy hours were spent here by fathers and sons? And how unjust is a world where the spirit cannot see his legacy passed down?

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
Condition of Mirror Lake

Does anyone know if Mirror Lake has cleaned up since the rains we had. I want to do some pickerel fishing there on Saturday. Thank you in advance