Whispering Pines

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
But we do have southern flying squirrels

That explains it then. This is from A Field Guide to the Pine Barrens of New Jersey by Howard P. Boyd, page 236

howard.jpg

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Prior to visiting Smithville this afternoon, I stopped at Whispering Pines to check on that bumpy little fungus. It had begun to break down.

Asymmetrical Whispering Pines fungus_following wkend.png
'

As mentioned earlier, it was sitting on its own by the trailhead. The wood in the bottom left corner is the edge of the parking area.
Whispering Pines_area around asymmetrical fungus.png

I wonder if this is a form of "earthball" of the genus Scleroderma? Looking through pictures of fungi online in the last few days, that seemed to be the closest match. Scleroderma cepa is listed among common fungi of NJ on the New Jersey Mycological Association website. That's my totally uninformed guess.

I haven't gotten to the best part. While I was checking out the fungus, another vehicle arrived. I was joined by two other folks, one of them who turned out to be none other than stiltzkin! The number of NJPB members who I've had the honor of meeting instantly doubled! We had a brief, impromptu, two member plus one guest meeting, then I headed to Mount Holly.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
It was very nice to meet you in person! On the way back from Chatsworth I remembered your post, so a friend and I stopped to check out the mystery fungi. When I saw someone right at the trailhead taking a picture, I thought: what are the chances? Great timing.

My guess would be just as uninformed as yours, but I think Scleroderma looks about right. It became much clearer that it is a puffball/earthball fungus after it popped open.

There are more of them nearby along the trail. They blend in very well with pebbles.

A7505786.jpg

And here is a similar one - probably a different species - that I saw maybe an hour before we met up, in the Parker Preserve.

A7505769.jpg