White Christmas

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Could be a possible White Christmas in this area. Weather Bureau is tracking a major winter event which could start between Friday night and Saturday night-prep the snow blowers and stay tuned.
*****Merry Christmas*****

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
So far, the NWS is only giving it a 50/50 chance at best...

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 40.

Friday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Christmas Day: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Not happening on Christmas. Maybe Sunday or Monday? Doesn't sound too likely though...

Christmas Day: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Northwest wind around 6 mph.

Saturday Night: Cloudy, with a low around 25. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.

Sunday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Breezy, with a north wind 8 to 11 mph increasing to between 17 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday Night: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Blustery, with a north wind between 18 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Monday: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy and breezy, with a high near 32. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
349 PM EST FRI DEC 24 2010

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHERN DELAWARE...CENTRAL
NEW JERSEY...NORTHERN NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY.

A COASTAL STORM MAY AFFECT OUR REGION DURING THE SUNDAY INTO
MONDAY TIME FRAME, ALTHOUGH THERE THE THREAT, AT THIS TIME, IS
NOT HIGH. THERE STILL REMAINS SOME UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THE
TIMING AND TRACK.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Now it looks like it might be headed our way after all. Merry Christmas everyone!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
416 AM EST SAT DEC 25 2010

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS: POSSIBILITY OF SIX INCHES OR MORE

* TIMING: SPREADING NORTH ON SUNDAY FROM SOUTH TO NORTH. ENDING ON
MONDAY FROM SOUTH TO NORTH.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Now it looks like it might be headed our way after all. Merry Christmas everyone!

Winds to 30-40mph, should be fun :) Similar conditions to what George and his men experienced back in 1776, the beginning of 'The Ten Crucial Days'.

590x443_12251420_severe1.png

118582008.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Wow, 6-12 inches with 20" drifts? That ought to be enough to make all you snow-lovers happy. At least I'm taking the week off. But I've seen these dire predictions fail to pan out before, so I'll believe it when I see it. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Wow, 6-12 inches with 20" drifts? That ought to be enough to make all you snow-lovers happy. At least I'm taking the week off. But I've seen these dire predictions fail to pan out before, so I'll believe it when I see it. :)

If it happens, I'm putting all the blame on my SIL. She visited last year this time and we got hammered; if it happens again, I'm banishing her from the east coast. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Holy #$%@ Every time I check the NWS the predictions get more dire. Guess I need to go out and fill the gas cans for the genny and snowthrower first thing in the morning.

324 PM EST SAT DEC 25 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SUNDAY TO 1 PM EST
MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
FROM 7 AM SUNDAY TO 1 PM EST MONDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO
LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS: TWELVE TO EIGHTEEN INCHES.

* TIMING: BEGINNING SUNDAY MORNING ENDING BY DAWN MONDAY. THE
GREATEST INTENSITY WILL BE NOON SUNDAY UNTIL MIDNIGHT.

* IMPACTS: TRAVEL WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS DUE TO SIGNIFICANT
ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ARE EXPECTED
WITH GREATLY REDUCED VISIBILITIES AT TIMES. TRAVEL IS STRONGLY
DISCOURAGED.

* WINDS: NORTHERLY WINDS INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS
OVER 40 MPH EXPECTED

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was out early this morning and we went to WallMart and the place was starting to get busy. Everyone is out shopping early because they heard the snow was starting at 7AM or so. I thought we already had snow when I looked out the window, but the town had put down salt.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Blizzard warnings have now been extended to Ocean county, storm warnings for offshore(N WINDS 30 TO 35 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 KT. SEAS 7 TO 11 FT. SNOW). Looking like a repeat of last year. :D The plains will be gorgeous tomorrow morning.

Blizzard Warning

352 AM EST SUN DEC 26 2010

NJZ008-010-012>014-020-026-262100-
/O.CAN.KPHI.WS.W.0007.101226T1200Z-101227T1800Z/
/O.NEW.KPHI.BZ.W.0003.101226T1200Z-101227T1800Z/
MORRIS-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-EASTERN MONMOUTH-OCEAN-
COASTAL OCEAN-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MORRISTOWN...SOMERVILLE...
NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...JACKSON...
LONG BEACH ISLAND
352 AM EST SUN DEC 26 2010

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THIS MORNING TO 1 PM EST
MONDAY...
...WINTER STORM WARNING IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THIS MORNING TO 1 PM EST
MONDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS: TWELVE TO EIGHTEEN INCHES.

* TIMING: BEGINNING THIS MORNING AND ENDING BY NOON MONDAY. THE
GREATEST INTENSITY WILL BE FROM THIS AFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS: TRAVEL WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS DUE TO SIGNIFICANT
ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IS EXPECTED
WITH VISIBILITIES REDUCED BELOW ONE-QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.
TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.

* WINDS: NORTHERLY WINDS INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS
AROUND OR OVER 40 MPH EXPECTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS
AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF
YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET
STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just got home from a trip to Millville. It's coming down light but steady here, roads have about an inch on them and are getting slippery. Very light traffic everywhere. Like a loyal New Jerseyan, I bought bread, eggs and two snow shovels. :)

I'm stocked up and ready to sit this one out at home - may wait until Tuesday to clear my looooooong driveway since the high winds and drifting are supposed to continue through Monday. Have fun in the snow everybody - and stay safe.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I think this storm is one of my late Christmas presents. I head back to Florida on Wednesday so, this is perfect. We even get a football game at the height of the storm. Life is good!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I've always wondered where all the snow shovels folks bought the previous year wind up :)

Haha, me too! I've had one old, cheap plastic snow shovel for the past 4 years and during one of last year's storms I realized it would be a Bad Thing if that wooden handle snapped. But at that point there were no snow shovels to be found anywhere. So I wanted to get a nice one, plus a backup to get me through a few more winters.

I was at Home Depot shortly after they opened and it wasn't crowded yet. But literally EVERYONE in the store had one or more snow shovels in their carts. Then I noticed a large gathering of unhappy looking guys hanging around the front of the store and wondered what was up. Turned out they were waiting for clerks to get snowblowers for them. For the most part, they didn't seem to be getting what they wanted and were settling for whatever was left in stock.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Haha, me too! I've had one old, cheap plastic snow shovel for the past 4 years and during one of last year's storms I realized it would be a Bad Thing if that wooden handle snapped. But at that point there were no snow shovels to be found anywhere. So I wanted to get a nice one, plus a backup to get me through a few more winters.

I have a snowshovel survivor, I should take a picture of it for posterity :D

The shovel is all plastic and has worn away to a half moon shape, the handle broke a coupla years back but I put some wood splints on it with duct tape. Its the best shovel I've ever had, part of tha family. The kids have come over with new ones but they sit in the basement, on call so to speak :D The old one is worthless on 'guvmint plowed end of driveway cement' though :(

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A cheap tool makes me very angry and I start throwing things and muttering profanities when they break.
I am also a die hard Buy American guy with every single thing I buy. If I can find an American made version of anything, I will go out of my way to find it and buy it.
I bought a US made Union Fork and Hoe snow shovel at the Berlin Agway in 1984 and it is still in use tonight.

http://www.uniontools.com/

The steel wear strip is almost gone and when it disappears, it will be replaced with another Union shovel. Probably with their steel coal/street shovel.
That should last long enough that somebody can bury me with it.
The American ash handle will be removed from the old one and kept as a spare shovel handle or weapon.
:)