Why living around nature could make you live longer

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Why living around nature could make you live longer

The researchers found that people living in the greenest places — that is, people who had the most vegetation within 800 feet of their homes — had a 12 percent lower rate of mortality from any non-accidental cause than people living in the least green places...

This is an interesting article from the Washington Post on the heath benefits of valuing trees. I hope this study adds incentive for our officials not to allow clear-cutting of developments in the Pinelands. Considering that about $3-trillion dollars are spent in US health-care costs each year, the expense of forest conservation is a pittance when compared to the health benefit return brought by forest preservation. Medical expenditures are pared in the long-run. Our well-being is worth the effort.

S-M

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Unfortunately, that study was done on woman only. We guys will probably be kickin' the can as in the past. But studies that use the terms 'could', 'may', 'suggests', 'likely', 'suggested', 'generally thought' don't come across as something to depend on. ;) Party hardy guys :dance: :guinness:

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I'm not sure how long I'd be around if I had to live in a concrete jungle. I'd probably be watering the dandelions growing through the cracks in the pavement.

Reactions: Boyd