Wildfire at Tea Time Hill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had an email exchange with a FFS member and he told me that some of the fires are started by catalytic converter pieces. They shoot out when the converter is going bad and start the fires. The FFS looks for this pieces in the area's where they believe the fire started and if they find them they know it is accidental. Looking at your video Ed it appears the fires are right along the road. Was there any deeper in the woods? If not, this could be an accidental fire by a vehicle that passed through before you.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Given the timing of when it probably started, my first thought was fireworks, but of course that is pure speculation.

Only 20% chance of any rain overnight tonight. It is up to 60% tomorrow afternoon, although even then, only 0.1 - 0.25" in the forecast...

Reactions: dragoncjo

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We saw sporadic fire only a few hundred feet off of the road. There was no real obvious evidence of someone there earlier, but noticeably someone went nuts driving over the field and doing donuts. Please don't block off our dog park! Some of you know of my concern reporting anything. My video was a beautiful 4K, but YouTube messed it up.

Reactions: dragoncjo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We saw sporadic fire only a few hundred feet off of the road. There was no real obvious evidence of someone there earlier, but noticeably someone went nuts driving over the field and doing donuts. Please don't block off our dog park! Some of you know of my concern reporting anything. My video was a beautiful 4K, but YouTube messed it up.
Mine now are all 4K and ProResolution and they never look as good on YouTube as they do in my computer. However, when my back camera is on the resolution is degraded.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Went to the Pic to get appetizers. There was a NJFFS Mobile Command center set up on the lot next to the Whitehorse Inn in Chatsworth. It was very smokey driving on 532 from Ringler Ave to just pass Whitehorse Rd. There was a ton of trucks parked at the Bordentown gun club. This was around 6:30. On the way back, around 10 it was all gone.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
IMG_3345.jpeg

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
WILDFIRE UPDATE: Tea Time Hill Wildfire - Wharton State Forest - Tabernacle Twp, Burlington County

Fireworks have been identified as the cause of the Tea Time Hill Wildfire, which is burning near the Batona Campground and Apple Pie Hill in Wharton State Forest. The New Jersey Forest Fire Service led the investigation, in collaboration with the New Jersey State Park Police, the New Jersey Division of Fire Safety, and the Burlington County Fire Marshal's Office. A fireworks device lighted inside the forest ignited the fire late Thursday, July 4, and the Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower discovered the fire shortly after 9 a.m. Friday, July 5. Anyone with further information about the fire that could aid in the investigation is urged to call the New Jersey State Park Police tip line at 844-PARK-TIP (844-727-5847).

The New Jersey State Park Police reminds visitors to New Jersey’s state parks, forests and recreation areas that fireworks are strictly prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, beaches, campgrounds, fields and forested areas. If you observe illegal or suspicious activity while visiting New Jersey’s state parks, forests or historic sites, please report the activity to DEP Dispatch at 1-877-WARNDEP (1-877-927-6337) or 9-1-1.

—————————————————

SIZE & CONTAINMENT
Size: 4,000 acres
Containment: 65%

STRUCTURES THREATNED
✅ 0 structures threatened

EVACUATIONS
⚠️ The Batona Campground in Wharton State Forest has been evacuated
✅ No residential structures have been evacuated

TRAIL CLOSURES
⚠️ The Batona Trail is closed between Route 532 and Carranza Road
⚠️ The Tulpehocken Trail is closed from Apple Pie Hill to Hawkins Bridge

ROAD CLOSURES
⚠️ Local Wharton State Forest road closures
⚠️ Carranza Road is closed from the Carranza Memorial to Speedwell Road at Friendship Field

EQUIPMENT DEPLOYED
Forest Fire Service ground crews continue to monitor and combat the wildfire around the clock. Earlier today, an observation helicopter and another helicopter capable of dropping 300 gallons of water were utilized in the firefighting efforts.

NEXT UPDATE
⏰ The next update for this incident is expected at approximately 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 7.

Please remember, “No Drones in Fire Zones - If YOU fly, WE can't!” More info: https://www.facebook.com/NJForestFi...oqQb3EFkkFKRD9xkav4VYaHKWzL4Mym9HoVHMdPGUpvwl

————————————
Helpful Wildfire Terminology
Wildfire - An uncontrolled fire burning the different types of vegetation that cover the land. A wildfire is considered a “major wildfire” after it exceeds 100 acres in size.
Containment - When reporting on a wildfire a percentage of containment will be given, which will state how much of the fireline has been completed.
Backfire - A fire intentionally set along the interior edge of a fireline by Forest Fire Service staff to consume fuel in the path of a wildfire and/or to change the direction of force of a fire’s convection column.
Fireline - The part of a containment or control line that is scraped or dug to mineral soil.
Threatened - Critical infrastructure, roads, homes and commercial buildings that are in the vicinity of a wildfire.

#NJFFS #NJForestFireService #NewJerseyDEP

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It would be interesting to know how they know it occurred on July 4. If they know that they must have talked with someone who knows something about it. Maybe campers at the Batona?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Very stupid reason for a fire, not surprising but just dumb.

I drove much of the area today. It’s backfired from entrance to Batona camp off caranza on northeast side all the way down to speedwell. It’s then backfired from speedwell to eagle. From eagle to Harris station and back up to white horse road and back down tater turnpike to where Ed reported it. There is big smoke shoots I was able to triangulate to 1 mile due south of bordentown gun club. Right about 39’48’42.21N 74’36’05.82 W.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
That is a great look right there. That outer edge looks like a hot burn. I’m guessing they backfired from rr tracks. Interesting to see how hot it burn outside the source area.