Wildlife refuge marks 50 years of caring

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I led a field trip to the refuge last week. There were fifteen people in our group and we made no prior reservation. Jeanne came outside and asked us if we would like a personal tour of the place. Most of the folks had never been to the place before so it was a great experience for them. We took the new plastic bridge over to the animals which was very helpful especially to those in wheelchairs. The highlight of our trip was when Jeanne took out a screech owl to show everybody up close. What an awesome little creature! I was bummed to see two turkey vultures in the cage that formerly held the snowy owl. No the vultures didn't eat the owl, the owl died of old age. Take your kids to this place, they will get a kick out of the crow that laughs at you and says, "Hello Crow"

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Please, don't get me started on plastic bridges.

You have to keep in mind that it is recycled plastic. Better off as a bridge than in a landfill or discarded along the Cedar Creek at the Dwelling Place :D

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You have to keep in mind that it is recycled plastic. Better off as a bridge than in a landfill or discarded along the Cedar Creek at the Dwelling Place :D

Guy

I don't know, the one at Webb's Mill is starting to flake. I'd rather see cedar for nature walks and bridges.