Windows 10 to be a free upgrade

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Personally, I'll pass, but this is a nice change of policy for Microsoft. I just got a new machine with Windows 7 Professional and it does everything I need, although it also included a full Windows 8.1 install disk. If I ever do decide to upgrade, I would probably skip directly to Windows 10 though.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/01/21/microsoft-windows-10-intro/

In an effort to get its users to adopt Windows 10, Microsoft is planning to distribute Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users at no cost for the first year, which is an unprecedented move for the Washington-based company. Unlike Apple, Microsoft has never offered Windows for free, but Apple's success getting the majority of its users on the same operating system has likely inspired Microsoft to make the same effort.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The Windows 10 computers hit the market today.Me and Momma start looking for a new mean machine today.Wonder how many of my programs won't work on 10?Will still have the desktop on Vista and the laptop on 7.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So now Windows users will know what it is like to run 10. Mac users have known for years :D:smug:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Windows 10 computers hit the market today.Me and Momma start looking for a new mean machine today.Wonder how many of my programs won't work on 10?Will still have the desktop on Vista and the laptop on 7.

As it will be a free upgrade, I would wait awhile and go with 7 on a new system. Win 7 has support until 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am betting I will not be able to get 10 because of the problems I have with Windows calling my copy not genuine. I am so annoyed that they ripped me off.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am betting I will not be able to get 10 because of the problems I have with Windows calling my copy not genuine. I am so annoyed that they ripped me off.

Never heard of that. I have heard of them denying service to bootlegged copies, but not genuine is a new one. Do you get updates? Who & how was that determination made?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I remember having some problems activating Windows XP under Parallels on my Mac. Microsoft has an automated phone line you can call for this kind of problem. It was actually very straightforward… have you tied that?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I remember having some problems activating Windows XP under Parallels on my Mac. Microsoft has an automated phone line you can call for this kind of problem. It was actually very straightforward… have you tied that?

Yes.

I purchased what is called a OEM System Builder Pac which states it is "Intended for system builders only." It turns out that is a one time install for someone who builds their computer. I had no idea what that meant when I purchased it, I was buying Windows 7 as far as I was concerned. In any event, I did install it once and had no intention of installing it again. When I upgraded my OS to 10.10 for some reason the software decided I had installed it a second time and after 15 days it was no longer genuine. Imagine paying over $100 and now being told constantly I am running hacked software. I called them and they told me there was nothing they could do.

Windows still runs and I can run the few programs I use in Windows for stone searching, but the constant notification I am running hacked software that I actually purchased is frustrating. If not for the few programs that help me stone search they would never have received a dime from me. I prefer to give my money to Apple.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yes.

I purchased what is called a OEM System Builder Pac which states it is "Intended for system builders only." It turns out that is a one time install for someone who builds their computer. I had no idea what that meant when I purchased it, I was buying Windows 7 as far as I was concerned. In any event, I did install it once and had no intention of installing it again. When I upgraded my OS to 10.10 for some reason the software decided I had installed it a second time and after 15 days it was no longer genuine. Imagine paying over $100 and now being told constantly I am running hacked software. I called them and they told me there was nothing they could do.

Windows still runs and I can run the few programs I use in Windows for stone searching, but the constant notification I am running hacked software that I actually purchased is frustrating. If not for the few programs that help me stone search they would never have received a dime from me. I prefer to give my money to Apple.

A bit late, but as the saying goes, Caveat Emptor. What made you think it was suitable for your use? The package name is pretty clear and the restrictions are on the packaging. Sometimes saving a few bucks can be expensive.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wasn't trying to save anything. I had no idea I was buying this. I saw Parallels with Windows 7 and purchased it. And anyway, I only had it on one computer as instructed. Think about this...you purchase a system built computer with this program in it and the next day you upgrade to a newer operating system. Then 15 days later the program stops working. What kind of stupid operating system is that?? If I changed computers then it would be my fault. I didn't do that and was never told I could never update my system again.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wasn't trying to save anything. I had no idea I was buying this. I saw Parallels with Windows 7 and purchased it. And anyway, I only had it on one computer as instructed. Think about this...you purchase a system built computer with this program in it and the next day you upgrade to a newer operating system. Then 15 days later the program stops working. What kind of stupid operating system is that?? If I changed computers then it would be my fault. I didn't do that and was never told I could never update my system again.

From your post it appeared you had purchased the Windows OEM version. I am not a Mac person, but Windows OEM use is very clear. If it were part of the Parallels product and you were not told about it and its restrictions, then I would think that is were the complaints should be directed.

http://kb.parallels.com/9003

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is absolutely no way to contact Parallels directly. They have insulated themselves from contact except by forums and snail mail. The forums received no response and I am not writing a letter. They are as bad as Microsoft. I have contempt for both of them because of this.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That sucks Guy. :( I almost bought that same version of Windows for my Mac recently too. There is a lot of conflicting info about it online. In the end, I decided there were already plenty of issues running Windows on a machine that was designed specifically for Windows. So I got a new Windows computer instead and am just keeping my Mac a Mac.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There is absolutely no way to contact Parallels directly. They have insulated themselves from contact except by forums and snail mail. The forums received no response and I am not writing a letter. They are as bad as Microsoft. I have contempt for both of them because of this.

Might try this, their HQ, company is run by a Russian;

Global Headquarters (Seattle)

500 SW 39th Street, Suite 200
Renton, WA 98057, USA

+1 (425) 282 6400