windows vista

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was reading an article on it last night which is at the below link. However, the paragraph below tells quite a bit especially about the recommended ram and graphic card you need to run it properly. And to add to it I was reading a thread the other night where a person mentioned how cool it looked, but failed to know that the Mac OSX has looked that way for 5 years. Microsoft spent a billion dollars to have it look like a Mac.

From the below link.

In fact, you'll have a field day noting things on Vista that have been in the Mac OS for years.) If you do upgrade, you must choose between several versions of Vista, depending on whether your computer is up to the task of running the system's sophisticated "Aero" graphics system. If you don't have a fairly recent machine with at least 1 gigabyte of memory (preferably 2) you'll be stuck with the drab $100 Vista Basic; otherwise you have to figure out whether you're a candidate for the $159 Home Premium version or the full-featured $259 Vista Ultimate. (Those are the prices for upgrades; if you're starting from scratch, the prices are a whopping $199, $239 and $399.)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16893308/site/newsweek/

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
:) yes,it seems like every few years,a new version of windows comes out,it is getting ridiculous,the constant security patches,internet explorer errors,i am starting to seriously considering purchasing a mac,my only one concern though,i do like to play role playing games,arcade,sports games,but i presume the tradeoff is worth it,i have already reformatted and reinstalled my computer three times since i purchased it two years ago.(compaq 5000)(512 ram)(6200 nvidia overclocked graphics card)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It's been what, like 5 years since XP came out. This is the longest time in between releases for a Microsoft OS.

The constant patches are a good thing. People hack Windows because it's the most widely used OS in the world. Linux and OSX are not immune from patches, and if you look at overall patches distributed per year, there are many more for Red Hat Linux than there are for Windows.

I ran Vista on my laptop for a while, but switched back to XP. I only have 1gb of RAM in it and XP is far and away faster. Aero is not worth the slow speeds.

Oct 25, 2006
It's been what, like 5 years since XP came out. This is the longest time in between releases for a Microsoft OS.

The constant patches are a good thing. People hack Windows because it's the most widely used OS in the world. Linux and OSX are not immune from patches, and if you look at overall patches distributed per year, there are many more for Red Hat Linux than there are for Windows.

I ran Vista on my laptop for a while, but switched back to XP. I only have 1gb of RAM in it and XP is far and away faster. Aero is not worth the slow speeds.

thanks ben,i will definitely stay with windows xp after your input,vista slows things down? now i am deciding if i want to switch from internet explorer 6 to 7?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Vista is noticeably slower on the same hardware (Dell Inspiron E1505) than XP. But on the same token, Bluetooth works FAR better in Vista than it does in XP.

As for IE7, I say go for it. It's a great browser.

Oct 25, 2006
:v: Thank you ben,windows internet explorer 7 here i come.The one problem though,i only have dial up at the current time.

Vista is noticeably slower on the same hardware (Dell Inspiron E1505) than XP. But on the same token, Bluetooth works FAR better in Vista than it does in XP.

Ben:

I agree with you about IE7 being a great browser, ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT. The screen personna for IE7 is radically different than IE6, so if anyone who does not like to upset the status quo, a change to IE7 will definitely rock your world! :confused:

It took some getting used to, but I'm finding my way around in it now. :dance:

Best regards,
Jerseyman

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Mozilla Firefox

All,

I just have one word: Firefox (it's W3C and CSS2 compliant)

http://www.firefox.org/

Being a web developer, I know that IE has never been W3C Standards compliant or compliant with the DOM and CSS outlined by the W3C as well. Because they are the most popular browser, it has taken countless hours by many skilled people to develop "hacks" to get around Microsoft's ignorance of the standards outlined by the W3C.

The main things about IE7 that make it so I will not upgrade from 6:
- They stole Firefox's tabbed browsing idea
- ** Instead of fixing their compliance problems with the CSS and DOM standards outlined by the W3C, they just made the 'hacks' inoperable, which many of us used to make our sites compliant. So in effect, they didn't address any of the problems, just made the only solutions to these problems obsolete.

That last point really ticked me off. If you're not going to fix compliance issues with CSS and the DOM, DO NOT remove the only solutions that many people have spent days and days figuring out.

Basically, a lot of people are now back to the drawing board to figuring out 'new hacks' instead of being able to use the old ones, because Microsoft is too lazy to address the real problems.

I had to rant because the word was that Microsoft was going to fix their compliance issues so web designers/developers could spend less time figuring out 'hacks' and more time designing/coding sites that are W3C compliant.

Peace,

Justin

Oct 25, 2006
:D

:D Downloaded IE7 through the windows update,i like it alot better than IE6.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If you use iTunes then you might want to wait awhile before upgrading to Vista...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070202/apple_vista_warning.html?.v=6

According to a notice posted on Apple's Web site, compatibility problems include the inability to play music or video purchased from the online iTunes store, difficulties synchronizing contacts and calendars and possible failures of iPods plugged into a Vista computer. Apple also outlined precautionary steps users could take to try to minimize any problems should they upgrade to Vista now.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Ben:

I agree with you about IE7 being a great browser, ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT. The screen personna for IE7 is radically different than IE6, so if anyone who does not like to upset the status quo, a change to IE7 will definitely rock your world! :confused:

It took some getting used to, but I'm finding my way around in it now. :dance:

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Amen to that. IE7 is an inprovement, but takes time to get used to.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Here's something else to keep in mind before you upgrade to Vista, from an article in this week's BARRONS:

My somewhat older laptop had trouble with Vista itself, never mind the gadgets. At a creaky 18 months old, it didn't have the power to run anything but basic Vista, and it did that in fits and starts and very slowly. Worst of all, when I tried to roll the machine back to XP, I discovered that, once you do a full upgrade, Vista cannot be uninstalled. All you can do is reformat the hard drive, lose all your data and programs and reinstall XP all over again. Seeking confirmation of this from the Microsoft Website, I discovered the company was at that point charging $245 per incident for a support call.

Oct 25, 2006
$245 per support call,that is outrageous!!!!!!! When i used to call them for help,i would hang up on them after a couple of minutes,i could not comprehand the broken english!!!!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My wife bought a new computer a few months back, and it came with a discounted Vista upgrade. She paid about $50 or so for it online and it has not come. It still says pending. One would think they would have a copy to send her. We are beginning to think it may never come.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
My wife bought a new computer a few months back, and it came with a discounted Vista upgrade. She paid about $50 or so for it online and it has not come. It still says pending. One would think they would have a copy to send her. We are beginning to think it may never come.

Guy

:) That upgrade in my opinion,should have been available to everyone the day it was officially released!!!!! No reason for the delay!!!!! And because of the delay,a better version should be given at no extra charge!!!!!