Winslow Junction, Hermann, Parkdale

Oct 25, 2006
Me and my friend started off early Saturday morning with the intention of going to Rockwood, but instead we decided to visit there another time.
We first stopped at a place that i wanted to find called the Indian King Tavern on Atsion Road built by Ephraim Cline in 1795, arriving at the site we found the cellar hole and some scattered bricks.
IMG_0453_1.jpg

Next it was on to Spring Road and Winslow Junction.
IMG_0454_1.jpg

Various pics were taken of all the different rail cars at the site.
IMG_0455_1.jpg

Looking up Spring Road, variety is the word.
IMG_0456_1.jpg

A pic of two locomotives, notice the Statue of Liberty emblem on the left side of the right locomotive.
IMG_0459_1.jpg

Their are other pics of the stock at Winslow Junction in the photo album section of the website if you wish to view them.

Next we left for the Shaler Grave at Egg Harbor Lake.
IMG_0460_1.jpg

We then proceeded to the St.Mary Of The Assumption Catholic Cemetery in Pleasant Mills.
IMG_0462_1.jpg

A pic of the oldest known headstone in the Cemetery of Mary Mcambridge.
IMG_0465_1.jpg

In this pic you can see the tile section of where the church stood. The Church was built in 1827, it burned down in a forest fire in the year 1900.
IMG_0464_1.jpg

Also buried in the graveyard are the parents of Joseph Froehlinger known as the inventor of salt water taffy. Other pics of the graveyard are also in my photo album.

Time now to go to a place that i have never visited before called Hermann,built in 1873. This is a pic of the field where the Hermann Hotel or Koster's Hotel once stood.
IMG_0466_1.jpg

Next a pic of an archway at the Glassworks site.
IMG_0471_1.jpg

A pic of a pipe in the area going underground, we could not find where it came out.
IMG_0473_1.jpg

This was an interesting structure located right at the Mullica River Waterfront, you could cast a lure or a bait right into the River, a fisherman's dream.
IMG_0474_1.jpg

There are also more pics in my album in my album taken at the Glassworks site.

We then left the area, taking the Bulltown-Tylertown Road to the Batso-Washington turnpike to once again visit Washington, on the way we discovered this cellar hole.
IMG_0475_1.jpg

Then we found this deep well.
IMG_0477_1.jpg

We left the area stopping at Washington for a short time, then it was on to the Sandy Ridge area, first taking this pic.
IMG_0478_1.jpg

Backtracking we arrived to the following site, which is believed to be an old Sawmill, we found some letters on this brick, the second one was not found, so i do not know what company manufactured it.
IMG_0479_1.jpg

The following are some pics of the site.
IMG_0480_1.jpg

Another view.
IMG_0481_1.jpg

We decided to call it a day, but first we went to the Valenzano Winery on Old Indian Mills Road, after some wine tasting, i bought a bottle of Shamong Red.

Not going to our friend's house in Tabernacle today, and still being early, we went to Hampton Furnace to ride around the place for a while, then left for another place i have never been to called Parkdale, we traveled from Chew Road to Sandy Causeway, to the Fleming Pike all the way to where the railroad Bridge goes over the Sleeper Creek, viewing the area we then backtracked to Parkdale and came upon this. I do not know what it was used for.
IMG_0482_1.jpg

Another view of the area.
IMG_0483_1.jpg

We then proceed further down the Road to Rt.206, viewing this.
IMG_0484_1.jpg

We wanted to ride around some more but it was on the late side, i took this last pic of the day, a broken pipe going across the road.
IMG_0485_1.jpg

I tried to take one more pic of the area, but the camera card was full, so we took the road out to Rt.206 and headed home.

I summation, the mile counter on the car when i got home read a 170 mile round trip.

I would like to thank the following for the roads i was to encounter in the Parkdale area. Ben, Largo, and Guy.

Also when we got home the Sun finally came out after dealing with on and off rain, especially at Sandy Ridge.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
I filled up the gas tank when i arrived in New Jersey yesterday first thing, $33.00 it cost me, i used probably between a half and three quarters of a tank when i arrived home. Gas is 20 cents cheaper in New Jersey than in Pa.

But, i will be willing to give up some mileage to get me to the spot. The last pic for instance, there was a bigger washout a little further north on the road, makeable, but it got tight, a Jeep would have been no problem to go through there, there was much more of Parkdale we could not visit because more so of the tightness of the trail, the washouts were mainly not deep, and also not long, and did not stretch from one of the road to the other.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The cellar hole you found with the well was the home of Fred Jervis and later Samuel Jervis. If you have “Iron in the Pines” you have read about Fred Jervis. In May of 1900 a large fire swept through the Batsto Pleasant Mills area and destroyed the home of Fred Jervis. The Catholic Church which you visited earlier in the day also was destroyed. The Jervis property and the property of A.E Koster which apparently was on the other side of the Batsto Turnpike consists of 38.788 acres and was still in private hand when the state purchased the land around them. It wasn’t until September of 1969 that the state took control of them. Jim, if you had looked around right in the middle of the small road nearby you would have found one of the property monuments.

Nice report James.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Guy for the info on whose property that was, the next time we are out that way we will look for the property monument. We did try to find the BM at Mount Road, no luck, does it still exist ? I do have Iron In The Pines, i will look for that info.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy

At the intersection of Mount Road and the Batsto Washington Turnpike, there is also as you know another one a little further east past Mount Road on The Batsto Washington Turnpike.

Jim

I have not looked for them. But you have to realize that many of them are buried underground and you may need documentation to find them. Even having that makes it hard to find since many of them have been there for many years and the trees they use as reference are long gone. Scott and I looked for a few and had the documentation and couldn't find them.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report James. I had never seen that well before. You do cover alot of ground on your trips don't you:) I guess when you coming from PA you have to make the most of the time available and you certainly do.

Jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Great stuff, James. Winslow Junction is on my list now. I'd love to wander around that place for an hour. Thanks to Guy for filling in the details on the cellar hole and the well.

Ben, it's costing me around $55 to fill up the FJ these days, but I find that I only use a quarter tank or so in a full day's driving in the pines. Still, I've also been doing a lot more hiking.

Oct 25, 2006
Nice report James. I had never seen that well before. You do cover alot of ground on your trips don't you:) I guess when you coming from PA you have to make the most of the time available and you certainly do.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I missed that well when i found the place for the first time last year also.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Great stuff, James. Winslow Junction is on my list now. I'd love to wander around that place for an hour. Thanks to Guy for filling in the details on the cellar hole and the well.

Ben, it's costing me around $55 to fill up the FJ these days, but I find that I only use a quarter tank or so in a full day's driving in the pines. Still, I've also been doing a lot more hiking.

One place that i had on my itinerary but missed was the Bulltown Glass Works, i was going to look on Mill road, but i completely forgot about going there.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
You might also want to check out Crowleytown while you're out there. I haven't been but from what I understand you can find some bricks and broken glass.

Ben

Is the site on the Crowley's Landing side of Rt.542, or on the Batso side of Rt.542 ?

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
You should pick it up. She talks about Crowleytown in it.

I just did a google search on Crowleytown and it took me to ancestry.com with a great write up on the place, it also talks about an old tavern supposedly there, and a hill house in the Buttonwood Hill Campground on the other side of Rt.42.

I would post it if you like, but, not if a copyright is involved.

Jim