Wireless router.....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
looking for recommendations to replace my Belkin pre-N. Moderately priced, no more than a 50' range. Thanks

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I've used the Linksys wireless-g broadband router wrt54gs for a couple of years and am happy. Linksys is a good company and was recomended by a friend who works in networking.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have the WRT54G and up until recently have been very happy with it. However, my kids who use the wireless, are now complaining they are not connecting. I am constantly pulling the plug to get them up.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The Apple Airport express is a great little router for travelling and home use, but maybe not quite what you're looking for. Works with macs, pc's and everything... I take it with me on trips sometimes to use in hotels without wifi.

I am still using the Westell DSL Modem/wireless router which came with my Verizon service. If you want more range, look at some of the products from Hawking Technology. I have one of their wifi amplifiers and a small antenna mounted outside my house with a wire going to the antenna jack on the Westell router. It's pretty amazing, I can get wifi way out in the woods with my iPhone or iPod Touch.... as far as 600 feet from the house!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The Apple Airport express is a great little router for travelling and home use, but maybe not quite what you're looking for. Works with macs, pc's and everything... I take it with me on trips sometimes to use in hotels without wifi.

I am still using the Westell DSL Modem/wireless router which came with my Verizon service. If you want more range, look at some of the products from Hawking Technology. I have one of their wifi amplifiers and a small antenna mounted outside my house with a wire going to the antenna jack on the Westell router. It's pretty amazing, I can get wifi way out in the woods with my iPhone or iPod Touch.... as far as 600 feet from the house!

I wish you were my neighbour, I could drop internet service.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Haha :) - my only neighbors within range are the squirrels, deer, wild turkeys and other forest creatures. So far none of them have internet access. Anyway, it's encrypted...

But if you want to see some wild stuff, try googling something like "wifi antenna" and you will see contraptions which people have built. One guy posted plans for retrofitting a direct TV dish and claimed a range of several miles! There's some kind of annual "shoot out" where they see how far they can broadcast their signals.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks all. From what I can see Linksys is the router to have in my neighborhood :) In the meantime, I changed my channel option to specify a set channel, not auto. I think the increase in the number of nieghborhood routers might be causing my problem, as it hasn't dropped since I changed the setting, it was dropping regularly..

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well, my dropped wireless connection problem has come back. Changing the channel helped over the past year, but now I see there are more wireless folks in the neighborhood, 10 that I can see. Does anyone know of a way I can see what address they are using? And once I get an address, what would cause me to lose it? More powerful router somewhere? Right now I am 15' and one wall between the router and computer. Router is still a Belkin pre-N, WPA secured. It's really become such a pain I'm considering moving everything and hard wiring it. :bang:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Got a Linksys (Cisco) WRT160N at work several months ago and it has been great. We initially got it to control a video server in the projection booth from a laptop in the theatre, about 100 feet away. No problems at all. Now using in our office. These new routers really shouldn't have any problems inside a typical sized home.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Got a Linksys (Cisco) WRT160N at work several months ago and it has been great. We initially got it to control a video server in the projection booth from a laptop in the theatre, about 100 feet away. No problems at all. Now using in our office. These new routers really shouldn't have any problems inside a typical sized home.

I don't think it is a distance problem, rather it seems to be due to the number of active networks. Early mornings I have no issues, but once normal times come around the drops begin. I spoke with Belkin trying fo find out how the actual connection works. I asked, if I get connected, I should stay connected; what would cause me to become disconnected. Not much of a response other than the connection is lost. Very insightful :rolleyes:

If the new routers have more than 10 channels, that would probably be a help.

Well, I located some beggarware, (www.netstumbler.com) that gives me the info I was looking for. Looks like my theory is busted, as all but 1 network is using channel 6. The other 1 is using channel 1. I am very cornfused.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Could the problem be on the PC side and not the Router end? Is this problem happening on more than one PC? If it's happening on more than one PC the router might just be flaky and probably time for a new one.
You could also try changing your DHCP settings and select a network other than the 192.168.1.x default network usually offered. Change it to 192.168.77.x and see what happens.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Its probably the router as it happens on any PC using that network. Tried changing the IP, but no difference. From what I can gather, the Belkin is kind of flaky, but I've had no issues the past year. It's like a switch was turned off.

I'm going to connect to a neighbors network and see what happens.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
The linksys WRT54G is great for the money. I just paid $42 bucks for a new one. Cisco is a good company and they will be around for a while.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I do have the Belkin N.....I think its good to a ridiculous 1/4 mile. I paid $110 I think.....but I won the money in a Credit Union drawing. I have the security on.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I made a change to the router settings last night and so far today I have not had any drops. The change was to the mode setting to allow only G and pre-N. It was set to the default

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Changing the internal IP of the subnet won't have any affect on wireless connectivity. Some things that do: signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio. If you have anything else on the 2.4ghz band (or 5.8ghz depending on your router model) then it can cause these issues. Examples can be cordless phones, rf-remotes, microwave ovens. If you have a router that has switchable frequency, then try whatever band you're not already on, i.e. if it is running on 2.4 switch it to 5.8.

Windows has a setting in the wireless network properties for "automatically connect to preferred networks". Try clearing this checkbox. Sometimes if you have a signal strength problem Windows will drop the connection and try a different one, and generally you don't want this behavior.

Another issues that sometimes occurs is that people get multiple utilities fighting to configure the adapter. Other than the actual device drivers Windows has everything needed to manage the adapter, so you don't need the OEM utility running in the task tray. If it is, try disabling it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Changing the internal IP of the subnet won't have any affect on wireless connectivity. Some things that do: signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio. If you have anything else on the 2.4ghz band (or 5.8ghz depending on your router model) then it can cause these issues. Examples can be cordless phones, rf-remotes, microwave ovens. If you have a router that has switchable frequency, then try whatever band you're not already on, i.e. if it is running on 2.4 switch it to 5.8.

Windows has a setting in the wireless network properties for "automatically connect to preferred networks". Try clearing this checkbox. Sometimes if you have a signal strength problem Windows will drop the connection and try a different one, and generally you don't want this behavior.

Another issues that sometimes occurs is that people get multiple utilities fighting to configure the adapter. Other than the actual device drivers Windows has everything needed to manage the adapter, so you don't need the OEM utility running in the task tray. If it is, try disabling it.

Check on all those suggestions, but I do keep the preferred auto connect on, and limit the preferred network to mine. So far today all is good.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I do have the Belkin N.....I think its good to a ridiculous 1/4 mile. I paid $110 I think.....but I won the money in a Credit Union drawing. I have the security on.

Bob,

I actually bought the Belkin N you have and after bringing it home we could not connect using the wireless. Then Jessica pushed the button in on the top of it and it broke. So we took it back and I bought the NetGear and as soon as we plugged it in we connected. Have not had a problem. And for the first time the girls can walk to the street with their iPod Touch's and still connect. On sale for $69.

Guy