Withered, Waterless, And Parched....A Guy And Bob Great Swamp Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Exploring the Great Swamp is always interesting, and today was no exception. After meeting at Atsion this morning, Bobpbx and I headed down West Mills Road to find the secrets of this fascinating place. We parked just off a small road not far from Paradise Lake Campground where we could hear the music blaring in the distance. With the sounds of civilization the last thing on our mind we headed deep into the swamp.

The area we were in is a series of small depressions where most likely water flowed; however, today we did not find one drop of water in that area on our travels. In these depressions we did find an abundance of Smoke Grass which many of you may have recently become familiar with.

Much of this is Smoke Grass

IMG_5603.JPG

It is hard to photograph.

IMG_5609.JPG

Bob, traveling through an upland area.

IMG_5607.JPG

You may remember from previous PBX explorations there we found quite a bit of iron ore. Today, we had the same results.

IMG_5611.JPG

Onward we traveled though some really nice meadows or Savannah's, however, you want to describe them.

IMG_5613.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

Leather leaf taking over this small spung.

IMG_5617.JPG

A friendly grasshopper.

IMG_5620.JPG

Have you ever looked closely at them? They have what looks like a suit of armor.

grasshopper.jpg

Later on our outing we came upon the mother load of iron ore. This to me was the most fascinating part of our day. Imagine sometime in the past, maybe 200 years ago, someone standing at this very spot hacking away at the ground to remove the ore. Deeper they dug until one day for some unknown reason they stopped, leaving depressions and more importantly the most amazing natural sight you can find in the pines. Well, at least to me it is amazing.

The depression.

IMG_5625.JPG

Bob standing there for clarity.

IMG_5626.JPG

There is a berm running along those depressions where you will find the thickest ore bed I have ever viewed.

IMG_5627.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG

And here is a video of Bob scraping the "sidewalk" that can be found there. No vegetation can grow there because the ore will not let it grow. Very cool, and well done Bob!

Around 1PM we arrived back at Bob's truck and sat on the back of it to eat lunch. Vehicles were approaching and we turned to check them out. ATV"s motored by with 2 males and a female on the back of one. In no time at all they were gone. Around 15 minutes later we heard them coming back, so I set my camera on the bed beside me and held the button down as they passed. This one pretty much hides them so they are anonymous.

IMG_5636.JPG

Today was also a snake day, and in the end we saw two. The pine snake was a small one in the entrance to it's den. When it spotted me in turned around and I watched it body circle inside and disappear to the depths.

No snake but you can see the den. Sorry for the shadow.

psd.JPG

Bob found this one swimming in a puddle near a lake. Can anyone identify what it is?

IMG_5638.JPG

IMG_5639.JPG

And finially, can anyone also identify this bug Bob spotted. It was right near the snake.

IMG_5642.JPG

And a video of it.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
A really nice day. I was in Hammonton and went down 206 around 3:30.Too bad that wasn't gold ore you found!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So lets get this straight for all of us. Bob's link tells us some of the characteristics of a Ribbon and Garder snake, and one of the differences is the Ribbon snake has a white spot in front of the eye. So to make it easier, try to think of that spot as a ribbon and then you will know.

So see the spot (ribbon). It is a Ribbon snake.

IMG_5638.jpg

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Interesting pics, an incredible armored hopper, the cutest Ribbon snake I've ever seen, and even videos starring Bob. What great entertainment! You always give a good report, Guy, but this one is stellar.

Sad to see that y'all are suffering from drought there too. I wonder about the rivers, especially the Skit, the Toop, and the Wading. How badly are they affected? Anyone comment?

Glo

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very nice nice trip there boys. It was a great day to be in the woods or anywhere outdoors yesterday.
I'll always remember those ore beds from the Dutchtown hike a few years ago.
Is it my imagination or are the chiggers somewhat tolerable this year ?
Did you guys get loaded up ?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very nice nice trip there boys. It was a great day to be in the woods or anywhere outdoors yesterday.
I'll always remember those ore beds from the Dutchtown hike a few years ago.
Is it my imagination or are the chiggers somewhat tolerable this year ?
Did you guys get loaded up ?

I got chigged, but was able to spray and brush them off. Did not get one bite.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I have a picture I took of what I think is a ribbon snake, but its body is much wider than a garter snake. If I can figure out how to upload a picture here I'll post it and see if anybody can positively identify it.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was going to say ribbon snake (but I wasn't 100% certain). I think in addition to the white around the eye (didn't know about that) The head shape is different. I think the bug is a giant water bug, or water beatle or something. That ore shelf is really something!!! cool find on that ore hole also!!

jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
So lets get this straight for all of us. Bob's link tells us some of the characteristics of a Ribbon and Garder snake, and one of the differences is the Ribbon snake has a white spot in front of the eye. So to make it easier, try to think of that spot as a ribbon and then you will know.

So see the spot (ribbon). It is a Ribbon snake.

IMG_5638.jpg

Guy

its a ribbon snake head on a garter snake body,at least the belly anyway,never could see the back.