Woman Dies After Tree Falls on Tent in S. Jersey Campground

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A similar thing happened to an 8 year old girl at the Citta Scout reservation in Brookville several years ago. Also, recently an infant was killed in a park in New York City the same way.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
A similar thing happened to an 8 year old girl at the Citta Scout reservation in Brookville several years ago. Also, recently an infant was killed in a park in New York City the same way.

definately sucks, thats a pretty crappy way of going out. but I can see it now, in 5 years we'll have people coming on this site asking about a haunted campround near "Shamung" or "atsun lake"

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
If I remember correctly, a man was killed while camping at Goshen Pond a few years back from a lightning strike.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
People who don't live around trees all the time don't realize how much heavy stuff they rain down when it storms, or the wind blows just a little. A forest is a very dangerous place in a windstorm, and not just to those who are incredibly unlucky, like this poor woman. Just to put it in perspective a bit, oak weighs almost a metric ton per cubic meter. A thick branch can be close to 100 lbs per foot. A ten-foot branch with a diameter of about nine inches split from an oak over my Dad's house years ago, and completely destroyed a screened-in porch.

If the wind blows hard you should not be in the woods, period. If you are in the woods and a storm strikes, you're in a bad spot, because to be safe from lightning you'd want to get away from the trees, whereas to be safe from falling debris I'd want to get right up next to the trunk of the largest one nearby.