Woodland Township Tax Sale

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Here is something interesting I found today. Lets see how this plays out in the coming months. If anyone finds fault with this let me know.

There is a huge piece of property from Route 72 almost to the Parker Preserve on Baptist Road that Woodland Township just acquired by tax sale for unpaid municipal liens. The property is 672.14 acres and is close to the property the NJCF just purchased off of 72. Will Woodland Township ultimately sell to them or will someone like Bill Haines make a grab for it? Or will someone else go for it? We all have a front row seat to see what ultimately happens. Look the document over closely and you will see that Woodland Township was owed $70, 693.06 and the land is valued at $672,100. If they sell it for anything close to that price think of the profit to be made.

Anyone disagree with my assessment?

tax3.jpg

Tax2.jpg

Tax1.jpg

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Guy, let's watch this carefully. It is prime pine barren land for preservation. If you recall, I wanted to visit those spungs last month to check out the flora, but backed off when I realized it was private.

PS: if it was worth $672K, then the guy would sell it to pay taxes. I don't think it's worth that because it's not buildable.

Reactions: Boyd

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Having spent alot of time there i know its highly coveted land by njcf, lets hope they find away to preserve it. I tracked some species thru there for them so they are well aware of how special and important the land is.

Cherokee261

Scout
Aug 6, 2015
Medford Lakes
The tax sale certificate is a lien subject to redemption. The certificate holder (Woodland Twp) must wait two years before they can file with the court to foreclose on the property and take title, so this may take a while to play-out.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They either don't care about the land or don't have the money to pay. I am sure Woodland has contacted them about it. In any event lets sit back and see what happens.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Agree to sit back and watch. Here's my thoughts. Big corporations many years ago bought huge tracts in the Pines as investments with anticipation of future development. When Pinelands was established, laws pretty much put a stop to any of those plans. Honestly I have to wonder why these huge tracts have been held for so long paying taxes on land that now is "useless" to them. Maybe they needed a tax write off?

I don't see where Haines would be interested, as it's not a direct watershed to any of his operations. That small blueberry field is owned by him, last I heard he leases that out as his main interest is cranberries. I don't think that land can be developed into a farm so why would Haines want another $13k+ tax burden?
Also it appears part of the tract includes part of the superfund site. That entire area is covered with test wells. I would think thanks to the superfund site any interest would shy away. The land is only good for what it is, open space. I'm sure NJCF would like to have it but why pay for something and be responsible if they don't have to? If township property it will lay dormant and serve it's purpose. The township will lose it's tax $$ but so it will if NJCF acquires it. As for the township it's a loss either way.
The good thing with township property, it's usually open to the public which means hunting which NJCF would close. So I vote keep it township property.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The good thing with township property, it's usually open to the public which means hunting which NJCF would close. So I vote keep it township property.

I disagree with the township keeping it open for the public. If those off-roaders get into those spungs, it's all over. At least NJCF will gate it and allow hunters in by registration.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I think some of that tax map is off by a bit as there is some more state land mixed in there. I would like the state buy it to add to bass river north or Penn state or even to Greenwood. Problem with njcf is that they charge an additional fee on top of what hunters already pay which is high enough.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The entire area has some of the healthiest wetlands I have crossed through. It is a nice combination of mixed canopies and rich soils. The state was monitoring the main roads through there because the dumping was getting out of control.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I know njcf has wanted to gate that for a while but either couldnt or never truely tried. That area gets worn out but its a special area. I once crossed the swamp to the north and out onto 532 with bobbleton. It tooks us from about 10am to near dark and bob came out with his nose split. When wacking briars i hooked his nose with my snake hook, waant pretty. That swamp is insanely wild.

I have no real intel that is new but id be suprises if njcf didnt pick it up at some point and try to limit all the dumping.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
If those off-roaders get into those spungs, it's all over.

Is there anything stopping them now? If public money is going to be used for this purchase the property should belong to the public, assuming the NJCF would fund the purchase using grants in a similar manor to the parcel along the Mt Misery.

If a group such as NJCF does purchase this tract will they be able to gate or block off Sooy Rd? Tax records show Sooy running right through this property.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Is there anything stopping them now? If public money is going to be used for this purchase the property should belong to the public, assuming the NJCF would fund the purchase using grants in a similar manor to the parcel along the Mt Misery. If a group such as NJCF does purchase this tract will they be able to gate or block off Sooy Rd? Tax records show Sooy running right through this property.

That's a good question. I don't know if they are not getting in there now and damaging the spungs. Sooy road can be used if NJCF blocks the few roads that run into the spungs from Sooy road.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
[QUOTE="tsqurd, post: 139289, member: 2332"Is there anything stopping them now? [If public money is going to be used for this purchase the property should belong to the public, assuming the NJCF would fund the purchase using grants in a similar manor to the parcel along the Mt Misery.

[/QUOTE]
You beat me to it. I've been through there although not as well explored as some of you. If the offroaders wanted to trash it, it would already be done. NJCF's mentality, are fools. If offroaders really want to get somewhere do they really think a gate will stop them? I agree if ANY public monies are used property should be open to the public, if private funds then yes it's then private property. Quite often gates draw attention and make some wonder "what's back there they don't want me to see?"

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
[QUOTE="tsqurd, post: 139289, member: 2332"Is there anything stopping them now? [If public money is going to be used for this purchase the property should belong to the public, assuming the NJCF would fund the purchase using grants in a similar manor to the parcel along the Mt Misery.
JD says: You beat me to it. I've been through there although not as well explored as some of you. If the offroaders wanted to trash it, it would already be done. NJCF's mentality, are fools. If offroaders really want to get somewhere do they really think a gate will stop them? I agree if ANY public monies are used property should be open to the public, if private funds then yes it's then private property. Quite often gates draw attention and make some wonder "what's back there they don't want me to see?"[/QUOTE]

Balderdash! Warren Grove bombing range was bought with public money, so let's open the gates? It ain't gonna happen, and should not happen. Why can't the public have a nice balance of both open land for pleasure and study via all public vehicles, and those with gates to allow quiet reflection and study without the incessant whine of atv's and bonfire areas. Virtually nobody has violated Parker Preserve gates in Chatsworth, so they do work if monitored and fixed when broken.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The gate just beyond the intersection of Baptist and Bailey was pulled open a few summers ago. It wasn't long before workers fixed it. NJCF will respond if notified if something is wrong on their land.

That area isn't a high traffic area from what I have seen from the many days I have spent there. It is a locals only area. The residents on Baptist and Old Tuckerton keep an eye on things. Except for one new pile last year, what has been dumped is at least a decade old if not older.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a public road. It crosses various properties so it can't be closed.