Woodmansie Wildfire.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
News reports saying they are using a airplane tanker to fight it. If they close roads it will be 72 which will hamper traffic going home.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
09/07/15 @ 1315 hrs- SECTION B5- "Woodmansie Wildfire" Woodland Twp near Woodmansie. NJFFS crews are working an estimated 80-100 acre fire behind the Clayton Sand Pit lake off Clay Mine Rd. (2) 450 dozers are working. ICP is set up at Coyle Field. An observation and suppression helo is up. A Downstown Aero air tanker is also working the fire. No structures are in the immediate area. Heavy spotting being reported. Updated 1902 hrs.

I wouldn't be surprised if a party fire was the origin. Winds are from the s/se so its probably headed toward Lebanon SF which is just across Pasadena Rd. That might get closed.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will have to get there on the weekend. There are a few stones I have not been able to find nearby.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
That area is very thick and probably hasn't seen fire since the 95 fire. Hope the winds don't shift to out of the northwest cause in that direction it gets thicker and then it pushes to the plains which is even more of a tinder box.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Update;

09/07/15 @ 1315 hrs- SECTION B5- Woodland Twp ***MAJOR FIRE*** "Woodmansie Wildfire" ICP is located at Coyle Field. NJFFS crews are working a fire near the Clayton Sand Pit lake off Clay Mine Rd near Woodmansie.
(2) 450 dozers worked. An observation helo (D3) and plane (D15) and suppression helo (D6) with SEAT Charlie 1 retired for the night at 1959 hours. No structures are in the immediate area. Heavy spotting was reported earlier during the day. Current containment lines are expected to hold the fire under 1,000 acres. A crew will be on for the overnight shift continuing with burn-out operations. Updated 09/07/15 @ 2140 hrs.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
With the wind shift to from the west we have fairly heavy, visible smoke here this morning. Reported to be 50% contained.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

New Jersey Forests
12 hrs ·
UPDATE: OCEAN COUNTY FOREST FIRE- Good news, forest firewardens report the fire as 100% contained, totaling 1,012 acres. The bad news is, this fire was caused by carelessness.
Based on a joint investigation by State Forestry Services' Forest Fire Service, State Park Police, NJ Fish and Wildlife Law Enforcement, Burlington County Fire Marshall, and Ocean County Prosecutors Office, improper disposal of charcoal briquettes from an unauthorized campfire on neighboring private property caused this fire.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
2 dozers "working".

Ugh!
This is a perfect opportunity with all the added exposure for the FFS and DEP to implement the rehab program that should now be in place to keep new roads from forming after a fire:rolleyes: I'm not sure if any new roads were made or sensitive areas exposed. I personally wouldn't have any problem volunteering to help if that's the route they wanted to go.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is a perfect opportunity with all the added exposure for the FFS and DEP to implement the rehab program that should now be in place to keep new roads from forming after a fire:rolleyes: I'm not sure if any new roads were made or sensitive areas exposed. I personally wouldn't have any problem volunteering to help if that's the route they wanted to go.

I will be checking it out this weekend to see what occurred.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Does anyone know where the fire actually was? It started in Woodland and moved to Ocean County from private property. It had to have started on a property in Woodmansie then.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I read somewhere it was on private property near the sand pit lake, which makes it outside of Greenwood. There is also party spot back there near the lake, easily seen on satellite. I think I have a GE kmz that shows the boundaries, if I do I'll post it here.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So the private property may have been the sand company even though they most likely were not who started it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It must have not been exactly there because that is state property. Maybe access was through there at the back of the sand company. So basically Hidden Lakes as the fire headed across to Ocean County.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
My info was from the local rumor mill so it could be just speculation but it said it was started by a campfire at Hidden Lakes.