Woodstock With Better Food: Yasgur’s Farm and Food Network’s Bubba-Q Take Them There at Hedger House

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Nothing to do with the Pine Barrens but of historical interest. The biggest crowd was NOT at Woodstock, it was at the following musicfest at Watkins Glen. The 400,000 tickets (number I remember Mal Currie, Glen promoter, telling me) sold out, fences were trampled down and maybe about as many more came in free. Mal said no one knows how many were there. There were still huge piles of debris in the several hundred acres of the track infield and abandoned cars (many found to be stolen) were still on the roads leading in when we went up to the subsequent race weekend a month later, despite a large full-time cleanup crew. Hundreds of the "johnny-on-the-spot" that were burned on the fest weekend were still being removed. The situation and subsequent mess was so bad that the New York state assembly passed legislation governing any future such events. Interesting that the Glen "do" never got even 1% of the press/notoriety of Woodstock......

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The biggest crowd was NOT at Woodstock, it was at the following musicfest at Watkins Glen. ......

I was at that one Johnny. 600,000 people. Drove up through Elmira to get there in a ford panel van with 3 other guys. The road in was clogged for hours and hours. The whole thing was surreal. I only got withing a few hundred yards of the "BACK" of the stage when the Allman Brothers were playing. I was fond of all three of those bands.

http://www.glenphotos.com/summerjam/

Reactions: long-a-coming