Yellow Orchids And Other Matters

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

A nice day to explore today. We first visited the Jr. Mechanic Cemetery and between the two of us we walked the complete site. Did not find what we wanted but I did see this one. They both lived at Friendship for a while when he was working for bog owners or Evans & Wills. Their daughter was a member of this site for a while. I met their daughter at Friendship one day and we walked the site together as she showed me photos from where we were standing. There was an article in the paper about Margaret on May 28, 1982 and she says living at Friendship was the hardest time of her life. They spent five years there and one winter they were so cold and poor they had to chop down fence posts to burn for fuel until the "Puerto Rican" neighbor saw what they were doing and brought them a truck load of wood. Friendship to many seems Innocent enough but some people such as them had a tough life there.

IMG_2008a.jpg

Then we went orchid hunting. On the way walking to a site we have been at before we found this one.

IMG_1841a.jpg

Then we found this one. You can't really tell in this photo but it is the tallest one we have ever found.

IMG_1844a.jpg

It is a little past prime but it is tall.

IMG_1846a.jpg

So how tall is it? I put my walking stick up to it and it goes to the top red circle.

IMG_1845a.jpg

IMG_1848a.jpg

We found around 20 to 25 plants there and later in the day we saw 16 off of 539. A nice amount for one day.

We then traveled to the Batsto area and along the Batona Trail we found this. I wonder if they had issues with trash when the good book was made?? You would think this person would have not left it there.

IMG_2018a.jpg

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It did look odd to me but was not sure. Thanks for the name. I will add it to my records.