Yesterday morning in the bog

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I took Jack to the bogs in the Jonathan Godfrey tract yesterday. It was actually my first time going to these bogs although I had been in the woods to the south of them before.

watermark.php

We settled into a bog that had about 3' of shallow, sandy bottom, before dropping about 3' in depth. It was alive with critters. Here is Jack with his first "wild" cranberry. In the background you can see an ancient brake hub or something from some long forgotten cranberry harvesting machinery.

watermark.php

Little kid, Big bog

watermark.php

Investigating a noise with a sedge

watermark.php

This is a tadpole soon to be a frog.

watermark.php

Here is a pickerel, about 2 1/2" We shall meet again someday, in about 20"

watermark.php

Some eastern mudminnows, a little hard to spot in the photo. Can you see them?

watermark.php

I caught this immature redfin pickerel. There have been questions about this variety of pickerel in the past. A little hard to make out in the pic. I managed to slowly get my hand under him and lift him out before he knew he was had. Okay, I'm going to nip this in the bud before anyone asks...I have long fingernails for playing the classical guitar.

watermark.php

Another shot

watermark.php

Here is the redfin before I caught him. a little fuzzyto make out.

watermark.php

Later, Jack and I went to LBI where where some kid caught a sand shark (a dog fish I believe) and Jack got to pet it. I didn't have the camera:mad: The kid acually caught two sharks while we were there and his mom told me he had been catching them all day.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

Glad to see Jack is out there doing what boys should be doing. Great photo's, and as usual I always enjoy reading about both of your adventures.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That Jack is a real charmer.

Say, is that an eyeball in the lower right of the last photo? I didn't know there were eyeball fish.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Great investigations, Jeff.
Cute kid is best!
Also, tadpole, pickerel (does he know he's doomed?) and shadowy mudminnows.
Speaking of classical guitar, how about that CD . . . hmmm? Loyal fans are waiting . . .

Glo

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Jeff,
Great pics, thanx for sharing.
It's great when the kids can enjoy the woods as much as us.

Here is a pickerel, about 2 1/2" We shall meet again someday, in about 20"

I like that! Very clever. (and optimistic)
But, make sure you take Jack so we can hear how he out-fished you! :argh:

John-

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very nice Jeff.
Simple, good times in the woods with your son will always be treasured.
I am still enjoying the woods with my two boys, now 22 and 23 but nothing compares to that inquisitive wonder that they have at your son's age.
Scott

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Speaking of classical guitar, how about that CD . . . hmmm? Loyal fans are waiting . . .

Glo

thanks for your encouragement. I got side tracked with some other projects but I am starting to work on the next album again. I was going to give you a sample but it seems I can't upload Wav files on this site. It will be out sometime in the not so distant future.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Al,
I was shopping for some nice fuchsia nail polish but now you made up my mind to stick with clear coat.

Jessica has long nails and she claims they stay harder when you don't put polish on them.

Guy