Your first digital pictures of the Pines

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Have been meaning to start a thread on this for awhile, and finally got around to digging through my archives to find these. I bought my first digital camera - a Nikon CoolPix 900 - at Mid-City Camera in Philadelphia on April 2, 1999. Cost was $864.72, which included batteries and a HUGE 32mb compact flash memory card. Went right out the next day and took a whole bunch of pictures, I still remember how much fun that was! Here are just a few from that day - April 3, 1999.

I *think* this was taken somewhere around here
https://online.boydsmaps.com/#15/39.7571/-74.6903/pines1999

4399-1.JPG

This one was probably along the Batsto, somewhere near the other one.

4399-2.JPG

Not quite sure about this, am thinking it was in Lebanon (Byrne) since I recall that's where I ended up.

4399-3.JPG

Was out the next day around Spring Hill, but the weather was very cloudy and the pictures weren't so good. But here are a few from a week later, on April 10, 1999. I believe this is Atsion Lake.

41099-1.JPG

And this is somewhere in Wharton, perhaps on the way to Apple Pie Hill?

41099-2.JPG

Finally, this one should speak for itself, a view from the fire tower.

41099-3.JPG

So there are some of mine.... now it's your turn. When did you get your first digital camera? Post your own first pix!

Last edited:

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think it was called a Sony Mavica, it would save the pictures on a 3" mini disc inside the camera.
I had a friend with one of those. Not one of Sony's better ideas. ;) I love their pro video gear, and have used it exclusively for 20 years but their still cameras never impressed me. Speaking of which, I have video of the Pines going back to around 2002. I may start another thread for that, after I find time to do some format conversion and editing. :)

T

Toothy Critter

Is that white bridge Double Trouble?

Yes sir, I think all the pics are recognizable as to their location. That particular shot of White Bridge is from my favorite fly fishing spot

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I got into digital much later, April 2006, with a compact camera that was basically a piece of junk. But yes, it was so much fun - at least until the batteries died, which they did often and without warning. Still, I never went back to film.

This picture (sorry, I am truly ashamed about the date stamp being on) is within the Pinelands, but not an area open to the public. I had access then, probably, but not since. Were we having a drought that year? I can't remember.
first-digital.jpg

These 2 are from November that year... you know where this is.

batsto1.jpg

batsto2.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I took the first photo with my digital camera on 9/25/2001. It was a photo taken out the front door of our car. I was working 60+ hour weeks and had not been in the pines for quite a while at that point. In the following months after working 18 years like that, I made the decision to eliminate weekends forever. Only then was I able to resume my pines exploring again. So on 1/26/2002 the girls and I headed out for the day. Our first stops were their first visits to Harrisville, Carranza Memorial, and the Charles Wills grave.

1_26_02Jen_Jes.JPG