Yucca plant question

B

BarryC

Does anyone know anything about Yucca plants, like their blooming habits? I have one on this property that I dug up and moved here maybe 14 or 15 years ago or more. Back in 1988 or 89 it bloomed, but it hasn't bloomed since. I'm curious if it's not supposed to bloom every year, or what. Anyone know?
Another question: if it's native to the Pines, how come we only see it around ghost towns? Or maybe I'm wrong and it's not native.
Thanks

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Barry,
I"m somewhat familiar with the yucca, It"s edible uses as well as medicinal and survival (utilitarian) uses.No it"s not native and is an excellent somebodys lived here indicator also the reason in the desert it does not bloom every year is common in desert plants.They are conserving energy since blooming and fruit production take up enormous amounts of energy for a plant that small and flowers and fruits do large.they normally bloom in wet years or the year after.Why they behave that way here where we generally have sufficient rain every year (last year excluded) I don"t know.probably programmed not to risk expending that much energy two years in a row.I love yucca.It is the strongest natural plant fiber in the world.makes a good bow string.the only natural fiber stronge is sinew off of certain members of the cervidae)deer) family especially pronghorn.Whitetail is good too.I have some back leg sinew right now which is stroger then back sinew but of shorter lengths.Sorry off subject.yucca is a great plant and can easily outlive us.
Al
ps. it"s called century plant for a reason

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
Okay heres something to add to this. The Yucca plant will not pollinate itself. It needs what is called a yucca moth, but since we don't have those you need to hand pollinate. You can do this with a small paint brush. I'd go back to where you found the one and see if you can get another one with flowers then hand pollinate.

Native to the south west so my guess it is the medical uses they wanted it for.

Good luck and if you get flowers I want pictures.

B

bach2yoga

Barry,
We have several yuccas close to us that flower if ya need pollen!
Renee