computer protection or bug?

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Anyone having trouble with Windows Internet Explorer trying to have you download a protection program for $$ ? I went to a site where I caught this bug and now it won't stop popping up windows asking me to buy their protection product. I already have an active updated Norton that says my computer is fine. All of this is very annoying.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A BIG problem. Had it twice. The only way I could remove it was to do a system restore using a restore point from before the problem. Most virus detection software won't catch it. Don't bother searching for a solution, as the solutions that pop up also have the virus.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I'm not very knowledgeable about this, but I recently switched to Mozilla Firefox and haven't had any problems. Is this a better one to use for virus protection?

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Malwarebytes.org or Combofix.org are sites where you can find info for this. It's commonly called XP antivirus 2008 or 2009. Is that what it is saying?

My husband is a compu-tech and this very thing has caused MANY, MANY housecalls lately. Everyone and their mom seems to have it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Anyone having trouble with Windows Internet Explorer trying to have you download a protection program for $$ ? I went to a site where I caught this bug and now it won't stop popping up windows asking me to buy their protection product. I already have an active updated Norton that says my computer is fine. All of this is very annoying.

Sue, do you have Comcast? They give you McAfee virus protection for free. It seems to work well for me with Explorer. You just have to download it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Sue, do you have Comcast? They give you McAfee virus protection for free. It seems to work well for me with Explorer. You just have to download it.

None of the virus protection software; Norton, Trend, McAfee, etc., can catch this one.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Good recommendations! I would add SUPERAntiSpyware, and yes, Firefox. A nice bonus is a built-in spell checker. And DON'T even think of trying IE8 Beta!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Nothing wrong with IE. I run it with no problems with the exception of this pest, but it is easily corrected. Besides, FF has its own set of issues, some much larger than this, but to each there own.

All those programs mentioned will do nothing for the pest being discussed.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I have microsoft vista and cannot find where to type in a start date for system restore. I liked XP much better. Do you think this is a gimic purposelly put out just to sell a product?

QUOTE=46er;58612]Be careful with this. I tried it sometime ago and it made things worse. The only fix that worked was the system restore, assuming a person takes restore points.[/QUOTE]

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have microsoft vista and cannot find where to type in a start date for system restore. I liked XP much better. Do you think this is a gimic purposelly put out just to sell a product?

You do not type in the resotre point in Vista, it is similar to XP, in Vistas case, you choose from a list of restore point versus selecting a date froma calendar in XP. See this link for more info. I do not use Vista, preferring XP instead. Besides Windows 7 is almost here :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/