The Aserdaten Tract Location

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I called it the Clayton Newbold stone because the survey line from there to behind Barnegat Wreckers went to the Clayton Newbold stone that is no longer there. I had no idea at the time what the stone was for.

Guy
I see why you are so particular about even getting the location to every monument you see no matter how insignificant it seems at the time.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
remember The Man from Atlantis, the TV show? I learned to swim...in a weird way, from watching that show. Never mind, lets not get off subject.

Jeff

Guy,

You asked in your email for my opinion on your determining the boundaries of the Aserdaten tract of 1796. I have little doubt that you, through your impressive field surveys, have nailed down the delineation of this enigmatic tract once and for all. However, as you are well aware, there are still many unanswered questions pertaining to this land parcel. We now need to determine the history of its ownership and land use through the years. It is known that at least a portion of this tract (the deer pen site) had a connection to the Stuyvesant estate. Do you think that the latter encompassed any portions of the Aserdaten tract. When was the Stuyvesant estate established?

Cheers,
Lost Town Hunter

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've just put a request in to have the two volumes of the Rutherford family history pulled from ReCAP and brought to Firestone for me to pick up this week. Stay tuned, hopefully I'll be able to clear up some of the lingering questions of Rutherford Stuyvesant's involvement in Lacey.

Ben, several years ago I briefly browsed through the late Elizabeth Morgan's volumes of the Rutherford family history with the intent of scrutinizing them at a later time when I was less tied up in other projects. Elizabeth's sons most likely donated these volumes to the Ocean County Historical Society.

Cheers,
Lost Town Hunter

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob and Mark,

I was in the Cherry Vale area today and here are a few photo's of the area.

This shows the incline down to the CV Branch along Dutchman's Road.

IMG_9612.JPG

The water flow was much less today.

IMG_9613.JPG

Views along the edges.

IMG_9614.JPG

IMG_9615.JPG

I looked at location 2 for a stone and did not find anything.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No. I was told by Lost Town Hunter that any fires in the area would have killed them off. There have been fires there.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have both editions of the 1986 printing of the Genealogical History of the Rutherford Family in my possession now. At first glance it's not mentioning anything about Stuyvesant Rutherford, ala Rutherford Stuyvesant. The book traces the Rutherfords all the way back to Scotland, and they're pretty hefty tomes so I may have missed something. But right now it's not looking terribly promising. Most entries seem to be a paragraph or two on a person, and I'd wager that each volume is about 800 pages. The indexes aren't so helpful either.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like you have some heavy reading to do :)

Guy

Ben,

You're experiencing what originally caused me to postpone researching these two volumes: an index that doesn't provide too much help. Hang in there and scrutunize these tomes so you can at least report with certainty that they contain nothing pertaining to the Lacey Tract.

Thanks,
Lost Town Hunter

Wrangleboro

Jul 5, 2012
Irish Wharf
www.allempires.com
Wow, haven't seen anyone talk about "Aserdaten" in years. Aserdaten appeared on a 1948 Topo map produced by the Geo.survey. The one feature that made it a usable tract is it's elevation. It was approx 3 ft. higher than the surrounding swamp.
I'm as sure as I can be that I have been on the site. My guide was one Chester Mathis, aka "Uncle Chet". Chet was the typesetter for the Tuckerton Beacon for 50 years, and had an uncanny knowledge of obscure S. Jersey history. [Chet was extremely proud of never having spent a single night out of NJ] When he took me to the site we had to trek through from the Batsto side of the swamp. [This was in the early 60's, before the "Restoration" of Batsto. Confirmation of the location came from the "postmaster" at the Batsto store, Rod Koster.]

Wow, haven't seen anyone talk about "Aserdaten" in years. Aserdaten appeared on a 1948 Topo map produced by the Geo.survey. The one feature that made it a usable tract is it's elevation. It was approx 3 ft. higher than the surrounding swamp.
I'm as sure as I can be that I have been on the site. My guide was one Chester Mathis, aka "Uncle Chet". Chet was the typesetter for the Tuckerton Beacon for 50 years, and had an uncanny knowledge of obscure S. Jersey history. [Chet was extremely proud of never having spent a single night out of NJ] When he took me to the site we had to trek through from the Batsto side of the swamp. [This was in the early 60's, before the "Restoration" of Batsto. Confirmation of the location came from the "postmaster" at the Batsto store, Rod Koster.]

Wrangleboro:

I DO like the location you listed for yourself. The Irish Wharf was the first wharf on the Rancocas Creek, now located at the foot of Kennedy Way in Willingboro in the Martins Beach section of the township. During the eighteenth century, this wharf served Royal Governor William Franklin’s Deer Park estate. Rumors abound that early on, Lena Blackburne derived his famous baseball rubbing mud from a mud hole adjacent to Irish Wharf, although I have always considered the Pennsauken Creek as the probable original source.

Do you reside in Martins Beach?

Many years ago, when Watson Buck was still alive and we took one of our junkets around Willingboro and Rancocas, we stopped down by Irish Wharf and he proceeded to tell me about the Rancocas Cement Block Company, a decorative concrete block plant that stood there, incorporated in February 1910. When the Great Depression hit, the plant closed down. Watson told me that the “Crick Angels” had all of the scrap metal stripped out of the facility in six weeks. The “Crick Angels” lived along both banks of the Rancocas and comprised members of the Fenimore, Ireland, Dolan, and Armstrong families. From intermarriage, they all had similar physical features, including bulbous noses, cherubic faces, little tufts of hair projecting from their heads, and usually short of stature. And these features applied equally among the men and the women! When I resided in Rancocas Village back in the late 1960s and early 1970s, I encountered numerous people from their tribe.

Welcome aboard, Wrangleboro!

Best regards,
Jerseyman