A big tree

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yesterday, in a sort of maritime forest (close at least). Several of these. I'm guessing 4 feet in diameter. Can you guess what it is?

1714582467867.jpeg

Reactions: John and stiltzkin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here's a couple more about 100 feet away.

And maybe I'm stretching the maritime forest too much. These are a mile from the bay, along a salt marsh with tidal river (at this point).

1714584192291.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: John

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Bob. I don't have good faith in the Big Tree Registry. For Quercus phellos, the biggest tree in NJ is 6.68 feet in diameter. Since it is located in a backyard of a house close by me in Collingwood, I found it to be dead. Only the trunk remains. (Does that count.) Next biggest is 4.6 feet. Here's a lot of big Willow Oaks right in my neighborhood of Haddon Township.

I was hoping you found a Water Oak. They are found way down where you are. It's an S1. Look out for it.

To measure the diameter of a tree in feet, measure the circumference in feet and divide by pi (3.14).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob. I don't have good faith in the Big Tree Registry. For Quercus phellos, the biggest tree in NJ is 6.68 feet in diameter. Since it is located in a backyard of a house close by me in Collingwood, I found it to be dead. Only the trunk remains. (Does that count.) Next biggest is 4.6 feet. Here's a lot of big Willow Oaks right in my neighborhood of Haddon Township.

I was hoping you found a Water Oak. They are found way down where you are. It's an S1. Look out for it.

To measure the diameter of a tree in feet, measure the circumference in feet and divide by pi (3.14).
Thanks Ron, I'll put a string in my bag I reckon. I guessed 4.5 feet, but didn't want to be too much off, so said 4 feet.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yeah, I opened up the registry and saw there's one 21 feet in circumference. I'd not come close to that. I also notice in the registry a loblolly in Cape May is a champion and I walked right by it two weeks ago. I was amazed at all the loblolly in there, and big ones. Some were in the muck and got blown down. Here's a photo.

1714605757162.jpeg

Reactions: Boyd and John

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Actually, circumference should be measured at 4.5 feet from the ground (AKA breast height), and on the uphill side if on a slope. It may seem like a nit-picky difference but consistent height is nessesary for comparative measurements.