A Golden Eagle Deep In the Pines

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have had my game camera set over a pile of breasted-out snow goose carcasses in a very remote area of the pines for the last week.
I was hoping to catch a few coyotes walking off with the goods but to my surprise, a golden eagle found the spot and staked his claim. He made several visits over three days.
The only other visitors were a lonely raccoon and a red tailed hawk.

What a powerful looking bird. I think he probably kicked the coyotes' asses.

The largest raptor in North America by body weight, according to some quick internet scholastics. They are similar in size to the bald eagle but with a heavier body. I was amazed at the feathering that extends down the legs, making him or her look even more stout and fearsome.

Apparently, they are a pass-through visitor for New Jersey with some nesting poulations in Canada and NY. Larger poulations are found in the western US.

The state bird of Mexico too !

Enjoy.

Scott

zoomeagle.jpg

zoom2.jpg

zoom3.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks for sharing the great photos, Rednek. I am also impressed with how well your game camera takes photographs. I can get a better sense of how big that eagle is by comparing it to the goose carcasses in your photographs. That is a big bird!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks for sharing the great photos, Redneck. I am also impressed with how well your game camera takes photographs. I can get a better sense of how big that eagle is by comparing it to the goose carcasses in your photographs. That is a big bird!
It's a Moultrie M-100
It does well with daylights but in the night photos, critters have to be almost motionless for a clear pic.
The other positive is battery life. The cam has been in constant use since December 27 in three different locations and it is still working on the original 8 AA alkalines.

Here is a night photo of twin, jumbo critters enjoying God knows what very early in the morning of January 4.

PICT0013.jpg

The golden eagle is by far this year's winner.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Rednek, again that is a great camera! The quality of the night photograph is very good. There is plenty of detail to be seen. The basic weather data is nice feature as well. The data on the bottom of the photo - Is that a standard now?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Rednek, again that is a great camera! The quality of the night photograph is very good. There is plenty of detail to be seen. The basic weather data is nice feature as well. The data on the bottom of the photo - Is that a standard now?
I really didn't know much about any of the cams when I got this one. My wife got it for me for Christmas and she basically just read the product reviews on Cabela's.
I never really wanted a trail cam that badly in the past but it has certainly been fascinating to review the cam this hunting and trapping season. I am glad she got it for me.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
The golden eagle is by far this year's winner.

You said that right! We're constantly chasing 'coons from the backyard, but I'd be a little worried to upset this fella's supper.

Thanx for putting these up.

John-

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Scott, I never knew that a Golden Eagle would pass through this area. What a wonderful sight to see a local picture taken of this magnificent bird. Thanks for the enjoyment.

Tony

noboat

Explorer
Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
Nice pictures. I been seeing a pair of bald eagles right around where you live on chew rd this past month. I have seen them sitting in the feild across from the wood guy.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Nice pictures. I been seeing a pair of bald eagles right around where you live on chew rd this past month. I have seen them sitting in the feild across from the wood guy.
I've seen them several times dining on roadkill in that field.
My former perception of eagles was that they were great hunters, I never thought of them as carrion eaters. However, based on most of my encounters so far, they are apparenty very opportunistic and aren't too proud to enjoy a little road pizza.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Scott,
My wife and I have seen Bald Eagles in Florida. They wait until the Pelicans catch fish and then steal them. I guess Golden Eagles are the Same. They do what they have to do to survive in the wild.
Greg

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
Nice shots!!!
A Golden was seen a few weeks ago on the free Friday morning bird walk at Forsythe.
I never knew it was the national bird of Mexico! I always thought that was a Caracara aka in slang - Mexican Eagle.

drb

Dec 27, 2011
I saw one over the marsh in Dividing Creek a two or three years during Raptor Discovery Days. Was definitely a highlight of the whole experience for me. Gorgeous bird...