A Tip From A Member Of The Site

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I received a tip from a member of this site about holes on a small hill with slag in them. I actually had planned on looking for property stones in that area but had not gone yet because Jessica was concerned about private property nearby. She is feeling much better but still not ready to spent a morning in 25 degree weather, so I headed out alone again to check the place out.

To get there I had to be very careful when meandering around the woods so that I stayed on public roads or state land. So I went double the distance but finally made it to the location in question. As I expected it is one of the many locations where people from long ago extracted sandstone for building purposes or even property stones. The woods have been burned recently making it easy to walk and look around. A perfect time to be there.

iPhones are great but in low light in the woods they really don't give a true feeling of how the place looked. In any event, this view is how small the hill is, and how deep the depressions were.

IMG_9082a.jpg

Sandstone everywhere along the surface but mostly small in size.

IMG_9084a.jpg

Extraction of the stone was at opposite ends of the small hill.

holes.jpg

This may be the important find of the day though. On my way there I stumbled onto this relic and took photos of it. After getting to the hill I started to think that this may have been used to remove the stone. Could they have needed a specially ( poorly) made wheelbarrow to get the stone from the hill to a road? You can see in the above photo there never was an actual road to it other than a dim ATV trail that goes by it today. In fact, there really is no road anywhere near it except for ATV trails.

It appears to have had two wheels in its prime if it ever did have a prime.

IMG_9073a.jpg

Not the best welding job.

IMG_9092a.jpg

Looks like it is made from a fence post or railing as well as a vehicle, and they are welded together on an angle.

IMG_9090a.jpg

IMG_9089a.jpg

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
I received a tip from a member of this site about holes on a small hill with slag in them. I actually had planned on looking for property stones in that area but had not gone yet because Jessica was concerned about private property nearby. She is feeling much better but still not ready to spent a morning in 25 degree weather, so I headed out alone again to check the place out.

To get there I had to be very careful when meandering around the woods so that I stayed on public roads or state land. So I went double the distance but finally made it to the location in question. As I expected it is one of the many locations where people from long ago extracted sandstone for building purposes or even property stones. The woods have been burned recently making it easy to walk and look around. A perfect time to be there.

iPhones are great but in low light in the woods they really don't give a true feeling of how the place looked. In any event, this view is how small the hill is, and how deep the depressions were.

View attachment 21709

Sandstone everywhere along the surface but mostly small in size.

View attachment 21710

Extraction of the stone was at opposite ends of the small hill.

View attachment 21711

This may be the important find of the day though. On my way there I stumbled onto this relic and took photos of it. After getting to the hill I started to think that this may have been used to remove the stone. Could they have needed a specially ( poorly) made wheelbarrow to get the stone from the hill to a road? You can see in the above photo there never was an actual road to it other than a dim ATV trail that goes by it today. In fact, there really is no road anywhere near it except for ATV trails.

It appears to have had two wheels in its prime if it ever did have a prime.

View attachment 21712

Not the best welding job.

View attachment 21713

Looks like it is made from a fence post or railing as well as a vehicle, and they are welded together on an angle.

View attachment 21714

View attachment 21715
Very cool!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, they said slag and when I got there is was ironstone or as I call it sandstone.