Apple Pie Hill Tower Smashed Again

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just remember they or someone they know may be reading this. It is not out of the question.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It is a really considerate thing you did today Bean. We need everyone to take the initiative and get involved...a good example for others to follow.

Beaniam

Sep 28, 2009
Tabernacle, NJ
I just found a photo I took of it in 06, http://beaniam.com/4x4/10-31-06/tower.JPG . I'm amazed at how clean and grafiti free it is. It's sad compared to now. Also I didn't realize there used to be a sign in that little concrete circle and it was all kept clear, saw that looking through teagate's then and now photos. As soon as 2003 that was there? That whole thing is gonna be destroyed in another 2 years at this rate.

Also when did they put in the grate that replaced the solid floors? Didn't realize any work has been done on it so recent, didn't think there was any funding for it seeing as I'm assuming it's no longer used for anything.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
How clean it was then is a little deceptive. When the wooden railings were placed there it was cleaned up with the help of the Meteor Motorcycle club and maybe others I believe. I am assuming the sign was placed there then. I had not been there in quite a few years so I am uncertain, but it was a mess in the years before that also. I don't believe the damage was as severe though.

This was taken in April of 2002 and looks pretty new. BTW, thanks for checking out my gallery.

4_6_02.JPG

Guy

Beaniam

Sep 28, 2009
Tabernacle, NJ
How clean it was then is a little deceptive. When the wooden railings were placed there it was cleaned up with the help of the Meteor Motorcycle club and maybe others I believe. I am assuming the sign was placed there then. I had not been there in quite a few years so I am uncertain, but it was a mess in the years before that also. I don't believe the damage was as severe though.

This was taken in April of 2002 and looks pretty new. BTW, thanks for checking out my gallery.

4_6_02.JPG

Guy

Wow that's a shame, that sign didn't last long at all. Even in that picture you can tell someone tried burning the sign. Which reminds me one of the larger trees on the hill to the south of the tower is half hacked through with I guess a small hatchet and appears they tried to burn it through the rest of the way. How bored do you really have to be?

BTW I like your FJ40, I don't suppose that's still around?

secretwolfeyes

Sep 14, 2009
HAHA very cool TeeGate in all actuality I was looking thur your gallery last night while writing my post about my co-worker.. I was amazed at all your pictures..and i had mentioned them to beaniam who then I guess realized all the cool stuff this morning.. Smart boyfriend that he is :)

We both love apple pie hill and he and his friends just happen to be the most recent ones out there cleaning it up.. I think its pretty great.. Most girls boyfriends are out playing video games or playing sports..mine is out cleaning up apple pie hill to preserve nature.. It wins my heart every time :)

:D

JerseyJK07

Scout
Jan 10, 2010
Hey Bean! i made it ove here!

I took the information we foud yesterday after cleaning up apple pie hill to the rangers :siren::

as you know (since you found it) there was more than enough to issue the persons a dumping violation! dance:

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I cringe every time I open this thread wondering what I'm going to find next. Sadly, if nothing is done it probably will come down sooner or later either by the state or somebody that takes it down. Good job on going to clean up the ground around it, every bit helps.

A quick google search of Myspace shows who these people are. Talking about having parties up there, tossing crap off the edge, or writing graffiti on it.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
I've been part of a clean up crew on APH and was amazed (probably shouldn't have been) at some of the stuff and the amount we picked up. I hate to say it but there is a lack of respect by folks for the woods. I wonder if they trash their own properties! I love the hill, my husband and I use it as a vantage point for pictures...and to get a chance to take in the surroundings. It's amazing how small you are when you are up in the tower looking all the way to Phila. One of these days, hopefully before it's off limits, I'll get there for a full moon rising or to see the sun rise over the pines.

There's one other thing I don't get....why do folks ( and i use this tern loosely) drive for miles into the woods to dump trash? Don't they have pick up in their neighborhood? Even if they had to haul it to the dump...it's got to be easier and closer.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Myspace will be there nail in the coffin then hopefully.

Well, if somebody does enough research there might be enough information to provide info to the authorities. Or atleast have them look out for them... it isn't just Myspace either.

Sadly, (as somebody mentioned above) it is well known... look at the "official" definition on a well known online slang-dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=apple+pie+hill+nj (slight NSFW warning for those sensitive to some words).

JerseyJK07

Scout
Jan 10, 2010
Well, if somebody does enough research there might be enough information to provide info to the authorities.

This time they did leave enough info when we cleaned it up yesterday. They left Name, phone numbers, address, parents names, SS#, birth place. No need to really go search them out with all that info. I turned it in to the Park Police Supervisor. They are going to prosecute them right away!!!:dance:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Who leaves all that info???? Sounds like they are not very smart, or really smart and leading us in the wrong direction, or to someone they don't like.

Guy

ZEKE

Apr 8, 2008

4_6_02.JPG

Guy

Thank you for recognizing Meteor MC. We did 2 projects last yr that incompased
widening 7 miles of hiking trail and rebuilding a bridge near batso.

Meteor has talked about doing something about the grafetti at APH. But our first priorty is
rebuilding last years bridge. With all the wet weather the creek rose and floated the bridge.

Again, thank you from Meteor. We love the Pines as much as anybody.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I've been part of a clean up crew on APH and was amazed (probably shouldn't have been) at some of the stuff and the amount we picked up. I hate to say it but there is a lack of respect by folks for the woods. I wonder if they trash their own properties! I love the hill, my husband and I use it as a vantage point for pictures...and to get a chance to take in the surroundings. It's amazing how small you are when you are up in the tower looking all the way to Phila. One of these days, hopefully before it's off limits, I'll get there for a full moon rising or to see the sun rise over the pines.

There's one other thing I don't get....why do folks ( and i use this tern loosely) drive for miles into the woods to dump trash? Don't they have pick up in their neighborhood? Even if they had to haul it to the dump...it's got to be easier and closer.

I guess it depends on how each township handles trash, but sometimes it costs money to take trash to the dump. I know the ACUA in Pleasantville charges so much per pound. So if a contractor ends up with a lot of heavy trash from a job, it's sometimes cheaper to just dump down a dead end dirt road. This is why you see so many tires in the woods. Getting caught with an open container in a car is another good reason why so much trash ends up in the woods. Esspecially since APH is a huge party spot. But I guess so many people just like throwing things off and watching them explode when they hit the ground. And usually the people who enjoy destruction so much don't enjoy the part where you clean up after your done. It just sucks.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Who leaves all that info???? Sounds like they are not very smart, or really smart and leading us in the wrong direction, or to someone they don't like.

Guy

reminds me of Alice's Restaruant....not really funny though!

Seems to me it would be cheaper to pay the dump fees than the fines and court costs.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you for recognizing Meteor MC. We did 2 projects last yr that incompased
widening 7 miles of hiking trail and rebuilding a bridge near batso.

Meteor has talked about doing something about the grafetti at APH. But our first priorty is
rebuilding last years bridge. With all the wet weather the creek rose and floated the bridge.

Again, thank you from Meteor. We love the Pines as much as anybody.

Glad to give them credit. Motorcycle clubs are an important part of the pines, and everyone should know they contribute.

Guy