Apple Pie Hill

shamongjeeper

Jan 22, 2004
Shamong, NJ
Three ways from Carranza to Apple Pie Hill.
-Batona Trail....Take it all the way down until you see 532. Make the last right and then the first left off of that trail, passable only by 4WD up by the hill.
-4 way stop at 532/Carranza....Take 532 until you see Ringler Ave on your right. Take that road and continue straight onto the dirt after the pavement curves left. You will be at Apple Pie Hill in 10 mins....passable by 2WD.
-Carranza to Friendship....noted in another post here....

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
We noticed while going to Apple Pie Hill that there are stone pillars on either side of Ringler Road (one is broken). These same pillars are also found in the woods if you take some of the trails off the main one that goes up the hill. We walked the entire trail but found nothing except for 2 or 3 sets of them. Was something there at one point? If so, what was it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu said:
We noticed while going to Apple Pie Hill that there are stone pillars on either side of Ringler Road (one is broken). These same pillars are also found in the woods if you take some of the trails off the main one that goes up the hill. We walked the entire trail but found nothing except for 2 or 3 sets of them. Was something there at one point? If so, what was it?

In the 40's there were plans for a development called "Chatsworth Woods" to be built there. It never really materialized but the pillars had been placed there. Something like you may have saw in the movie Back to the Future when Michael J. Fox returned to the entrance of his development when it was first being built. All that had been built were the stone entrance foundations. The same hold true for Chatsworth Woods.

I would assume the property was then purchased by the DeMarco's.

You can see the development mentioned here.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4407145.00011499&e=536155&datum=nad83

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu,

I saw that Carusoville was mentioned on your site, and thought you may want some info on it.

Carusoville was abandoned because the homes there did not have sewage, and their waste was polluting the river by the end of the road where you must turn around. I was told this by BobM and his wife who took me there to visit the place. From memory I added the below info to my records after visiting there. Bob can tell us if it is correct.

Carusoville is a development behind Bamber Lake that the residents were forced to move by the state in the early 1980's. They had septic tanks and their property was located right along the stream that feeds Bamber lake and there were concerns of contamination. The road into the development had curbs leading back to the cul-de-sac at the end on the right and left. The two properties on the right and left at the first corners at the end of the long road to the cul-de-sacs were reported to be very nice homes. The other homes on the far end along the creek were not as nice. And to the left at the end was an old man who had a house and a trailer who repaired alternators. He was reported to be the last to leave the area. The houses were destroyed and left there until the mid 80's or so and they were then removed.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You have quite a memory Guy. All correct to the best of my knowledge. I have seen the homes myself in 1980's.

Carusoville is also weirdoville. You see the strangest characters back there. Usually appear to be people from Toms River area looking for sex, drugs, killing others etc.

I found a spot last week where some character always parks and eats his lunch. He has absolutely no problem just dropping whatever he has right out his friggin window on the ground.

Speaking of killing people.....:mad:

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I guess I understand why the cop kicked me out that one day. But like I've said, I've been back there a few times before and never had a problem, so I guess I was taken off guard or offended.

Way back when, I found what looked like the ruins of a house. I had read about a hermit who lived further back behind Bamber Lake...a good distance from Carusoville. Does anyone know about this hermit? He supposedly had a lawn mower he kept on his roof (odd), and there was a lawn mower among the rubble.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Wow, reviving an old topic here. Got 2 questions about AP Hill:

Was the sanitarium actually finished and used? I've been hearing that it was only proposed and never finished, like the development, but reading this over it sounds like it was there afterall. Was it where the fire tower is now?

Has anyone else seen these? There are at least 3...what look like mini teepees...down the trail a bit from the top of Apple Pie Hill. They look pretty old and are falling apart. I have no idea what purpose they'd serve, since they were too tiny for anyone to fit in. A map has a "primitive campground" marked on it, but I don't know if this is the campground or if one is somewhere else nearby.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu said:
Wow, reviving an old topic here. Got 2 questions about AP Hill:

Was the sanitarium actually finished and used? I've been hearing that it was only proposed and never finished, like the development, but reading this over it sounds like it was there afterall. Was it where the fire tower is now?

This has always been a controversial subject....some say it was, and some say it wasn't. All I can say is what I have said before that is FACT. When I first visited in the mid 70's my friend had a metal detector, and while using it at the edges of the foundation of the building at the base of the hill we found very, very, old syringes. This is not to say it had anything to do with the places, just that they were there.

As for the Pine Crest Sanitarium building on top of the hill....the answer is yes. It was built on top of the circular foundation on the left side as you head toward the tower. This is where the sign was until it was destroyed. And on top of the building in 1932 was the fire Tower.

A building was still there in the mid 70's when I visited there, and was burned to the ground in 1980. We would go there and eat on cold rainy days, and I have photo of a portion of it.

As onehand mentioned, here is the USGS description of the location of the geodetic marker in relationship to the building in 1932.

THE STATION IS LOCATED ON THE HIGHEST POINT OF APPLE PIE HILL,
28.6 FEET SOUTHEAST OF THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF A PINE CREST
SANITARIUM BUILDING WITH A FIRE TOWER ON TOP.

And here are two photo from 1980 showing the burnt trees and the wooden remains of the building after the fire.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/ap1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/ap.jpg

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Another tidbit I read today about Apple Pie Hill. When the Prince was living around there there was a tea pagoda on top of Apple Pie Hill.

PS: Know that book "On the trail of the Blue Comet"? That book has a lot of facts/stories about the pines. A very good book, the authors did a great job.

mx174k

Aug 13, 2005
Tabernacle
Does anyone know the purpose of the circular foundation? Why was it round and why was it so deep.I heard a story that it was an underground weather station but I can't find any facts to suport that.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Have fun and take pictures while you still can because the state is closing down Apple Pie Hill near the end of summer. They are having too many problems with vandalism and drinking/partying going on up there. Recently someone decided it would be nice to spray paint swastikas all over and the state it fed up. Its always a few that ruin things for everyone else. Just thought that I would inform you about the news, so there are no suprises by the end of summer or beginning of fall. I was talking to a few state rangers about this friday night.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
wolfspider05 said:
Have fun and take pictures while you still can because the state is closing down Apple Pie Hill near the end of summer. They are having too many problems with vandalism and drinking/partying going on up there. Recently someone decided it would be nice to spray paint swastikas all over and the state it fed up. Its always a few that ruin things for everyone else. Just thought that I would inform you about the news, so there are no suprises by the end of summer or beginning of fall. I was talking to a few state rangers about this friday night.

You are correct about the few, but the problem is those few will not let the closure happen because they will break down whatever is put up. When nobody is around some people just can't leave things alone.

It is funny that when I was younger it was one of my favorite places to go, and Jessica can't wait to leave.

Guy

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
That place got worse every time I went up there. Why do people feel the need to do such things? Nobody's impressed.
I wonder why they can't put up a gate.

I'm going to have to rework that chapter of my book now.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
The "Prince"

bobpbx said:
Another tidbit I read today about Apple Pie Hill. When the Prince was living around there there was a tea pagoda on top of Apple Pie Hill.

PS: Know that book "On the trail of the Blue Comet"? That book has a lot of facts/stories about the pines. A very good book, the authors did a great job.

Who is/was the "Prince" --- the guy who likes to dress in purple, looks like he got thrown out of a washing machine set on "spin cycle," and who "signs" his name with a symbol? :jeffd:

ebsi

What's with the pagoda?

e.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I gave my copy to a friend so I can't cite the exact reference, but look in Beck's book, in the chapter about the prince (Ruspoli I think?) who built a lavish summer home on Chatsworth Lake. I'm sure someone else can provide the page number for you...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think ebsi is refering to the musician Prince, or he is just making a joke, or he is combining the two. In any event, page 95 in Forgotten Towns.

Guy

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
wolfspider05 said:

when you say closing down do you mean demolishing the tower?