Barney gets re-lit!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very nice pictures.
I am glad to see it re-lit.
Maybe a few GPS dependent weekend warrior mariners can take a big step backwards and learn a little about dead reckoning and positioning from those mysterious objects shown on a real paper NOAA chart.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I did not see the ceremony. I was out near the jetty. I did hear the bagpiper though. Quite a big crowd showed up. When I left and got farther away you could see the beam more clearly, that was nice. Two more decent shots.

Pic 1

Pic 2

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A memory to hold dear

It was really great all. Anticlimatic or not it just made me feel excited and even proud to be there for what really was an historical moment of a deserving monument and yes Scott, maybe some old timers will feel a little more willing to fall back on ancient technique (ha). The folks to used to the stuff today, good luck.
I made it a point to get in early because I had a funny feeling it was going to get jammed and boy did it!!
Meeting up with Lgench was a great treat after taking a chance to reach out to him on the phone while coming to the island. My family after taking the nature walk did go back to watch from the car as we were close in the lot anyway.
There was no option for me but the beach, wind and all.
46er, I think the park super spoke and the Mayor as well. The pipers played nicely but short yet it was so log jammed with humans up there I had to get out on the beach which is where I feel best in the cold and dang!, cold it was. There really was no great ceremony to speak of yet lgench & I were fortunate enough to get memorial certificates before they ran out. They never imagined such a turn out.
I saw you all across the way lights from vehicles all on across the beach. That was cool! Any pics I have will be majestic but just more of the same, including Pancoast's Moon and Barney shot.
Dude!!! We shot identical angles on the beach too. You couldn't have been 25 or 30 feet from me. I was just to the left of those little horrors of kids screaming, fighting, throwing tantrums!!! It was shameful.
I got a short of movie of the lighting but after holding the camera in place with bare hands and after that false start, I was losing it. (feeling)
It is somewhat a reserved effect from up close but man... tears to the eyes.
My son Sam once told the significant nature of the event felt pretty special about being there for it.
That traffic jam coming out was embarrasing. People are rude.
I took the family down to Fred & Ethel's in Smithville for dinner which made a finish for a nice evening. The beach, the light, and a good meal. Ahhh.
A little more that 17 degrees or so might have been nice but hey.
Wish I'd have actually spoken to you Pancoast. To any and all else who turned out, I hope you really dug what it was about and how cool it is to see the light back in business.

g.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Twas a great evening to be on the beach :) The procession of trucks leaving was a bit surreal, a long line af red tail lights. Wouldn't have missed it if it was blowing a gale, which it was pretty close too LOL Glad to see that the Coasties and at least 2 boats showed up, it would have been nice if one of the commercial boats could have made it.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
LARGO,
It was nice seeing you and your family. I warmed up at Kubel's and when I left there at 7 PM, there was not a car in sight. Still plenty of cops though, that's LBI! Whack the visitors who are going to spend money. No fireworks? Guess they didn't want to set the beach and jetty on fire. 46er and PancoastDrifter, very fine photos! Great day!

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Wish I'd have actually spoken to you Pancoast. To any and all else who turned out, I hope you really dug what it was about and how cool it is to see the light back in business.

g.

That is funny we were so close. I was the one taking all the pictures kneeling on the ground with my little antique tripod. I was completely psyched it was re-lit. I just had a vision of being able to see the beam. With a little moisture or snow in the air it would have been surreal. When conditions are right, I will go down and try and capture that scenario. I parked at a friends house and walked in by the beach so I had no idea there were thousands of people. I guessed maybe three hundred. I stayed for about an hour afterwards so I even missed the crowd leaving.

From my collection... Barney getting facelift