bay days

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I heard about this, but hadn't seen any pictures until now. I know a lot of the buildings were getting worse and worse in the past year or two, but it is really horrible to see that strip with nothing. I had planned to camp out here at some point and enjoy the the sunset and sunrise in the morning. Too late now. I guess we all knew what the outcome would be eventually, just sucks to actually see it happen. Add this to the list with Moore's Beach and Thompson's Beach I guess. But as long as there is a road to it, this place will always remain a nice place to take a walk and look out over the water.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Hurting for a trip to the pines, but there is too much going on. There's always the bay. The dogs love to run there.

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

Has anybody seen Alfreda? I miss her.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
With so many structures gone, the vistas of sky, sea, and sand are even more impressive. S & B provide endearing tidbits . . . Thank you for these shots! I miss the Pines, and --almost as much-- I miss this beach too.

Glo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The photo's are great as usual Bill. Even though one has to feel sorry for the individuals who no longer can live there, the beach would look so much better with all of the concrete removed.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
The photo's are great as usual Bill. Even though one has to feel sorry for the individuals who no longer can live there, the beach would look so much better with all of the concrete removed.

Guy

There will be a lot of cleanup required as this wall deteriorates. :)
IMG_1967xl.jpg

As much as the beachfront homes needed to go, it's sad to see them gone. I guess the remaining concrete, bricks and cinder blocks offer a link to what was, and of what is fading away. There are still foundation remnants of the old Sea Breeze Tavern there. I like that. Part of me would like to see the mess cleaned up; another part doesn't. It's beautiful there.

Reactions: glowordz

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
they never cleaned thompsons beach up.all the concrete is still there.old sea wall just like this one.half of the beach is hardly walkable because of all the jumbled blocks.I went into the dunes and fought the flies in order to avoid breaking my neck on the beach.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
IMG_2105.jpg

A rather odd lot self-labeled The Minnette Brigade braved frigid temperatures Sunday in search of ruins associated with historic Lanning's Wharf located near the mouth of the Cohansey River. The wharf, as much as I can see, provided a ferry service for passengers and freight to Philadelphia circa 1875. (The only thing I can say for sure is that it was veeeeeeery cold at the wharf on Sunday. No sign of the ferry.)

The Minnette Brigade
IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

The Ruins Section
IMG_2060.jpg

Minnette Brigade leader examines ruins.
IMG_2057.jpg

Leaving the ruins.
IMG_2062.jpg

Ten minutes out, the brigade bravely retreats to warmer pastures.
IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

All hail The Minnette Brigade!
IMG_2094.jpg

a house 'round the corner
IMG_2106.jpg

Whip:

You are correct about steamboats stopping at Lanning’s Wharf. During the late 1880s, Billy Thompson, the so-called Duke of Gloucester, purchased the New York steamers Sylvan Glen and Sylvan Dell to aid in bringing the teaming throngs to his amusements at Gloucester Beach, known to Quaker City blue-collar workers as “the Poor Man’s Cape May.” The Sylvan Dell had been constructed at the shipyard of Lawrence & Foulkes of Brooklyn in 1872. After the state closed down Thompson’s racetrack, he constructed Washington Park on the Delaware and continued to use his steamers to bring visitors to the park. During the early twentieth century, Thompson encountered financial reverses and he chartered the Sylvan Dell to H.F. Stetser of Gloucester, who had formed the Philadelphia & Bridgeton Transportation Company. Stetser operated a few trips in 1904, but then laid the boat up for painting and repairs. In 1905, Stetser’s firm operated a full schedule of service between the company’s two namesakes. Intermediate stops for the boat included Tyndell’s Landing, Lanning’s Wharf, and Greenwich. Here is an article from the 29 March 1905 Bridgeton Evening News:

March_29_1905.jpg

Service commenced the following month with this notice published in the 24 April 1905 edition of the same paper:

And here is the Sylvan Dell making her way down the Cohansey River:

Sylvan_Dell.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: whippoorbill

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
So much appreciating your post on this, Jerseyman; thank you. I wasn't having much luck coming up with any info on Lanning's Wharf. We were remarking during the walk about how desolate that area is now, while at one time it must not have been so -- considering the ferry and all of the related traffic. It is amazing what years can do to a place.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
In the Pines
In the Pines
Where the sun never shines-
I shivered when the cold winds blowed.
Oo-o-ooo, Oo-o-ooo
Oo-o-ooo, ooo-ee ---
They shivered too, that brave Brigade,
But found a tale midst frozen bricks
Beneath the leaves and dusting snow—
Cohansey ho!
A tale unearthed by Jerseyman;
A river tale of moonlit trips and flags aloft;
But now, alas, the cold winds blow—
Cohansey ho!
Oo-o-ooo, Oo-o-ooo
Oo-o-ooo, ooo-ee ---

My thanks to Jerseyman and to the Minnette Brigade, and especially to geezerfinneran.
If you listen, you can still hear me shiver . . . when the cold winds blow.
~Minnette

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
IMG_2191.jpg

I was going to take the dogs to the barrens today and have a frog go ... but Turtle's frog-free-exploration post concerning her pond visits yesterday (and today's cooler temps) persuaded me to preempt the barrens haul and opt for a much shorter trip to the bay.

The Breeze way, the Breeze, and a couple of Dix WMA photos.

Are we there yet?
fullIMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2208b.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

The strip along the bay has pretty much been cleaned up and leveled off, but there are still piles of rubble around.
IMG_2148.jpg

And a standing shack or two remain.
IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2169-1.jpg

The old US Marine building looks worse for the wear on each visit.
IMG_2162-1.jpg

Dix ...
IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

and dogs
IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_1972_Painting.jpg

Reactions: glowordz and bobpbx

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I never new that was a marine building.Where'd you learn that?Does Sparky still love you since you took his jewels?
You know someone will come and steal those historical cinder blocks now that you've posted em:-(

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I never new that was a marine building.Where'd you learn that?Does Sparky still love you since you took his jewels?

It's got a big USMC on top. See it? Plus, when it was occupied, a marine used to come out and make me do push ups on the beach.

IMG_2162-1.jpg

Sparky is still supposed to be taking it easy what with his recent de-jewelment. And staying dry. He was a maniac today and went plunging headfirst into the water as soon as he saw it. Don't tell his mama.