Beer (again)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Tried some Brooklyn Brown Ale this weekend along with another sixer of Southern Tier IPA.
The Brooklyn wasn't too awful and had a slight choclate finish.
I think I like Guiness better but I will give the Brooklyn another try from another store very soon.

I bought the Brooklyn Ale at Buena Liquors on 40 on my way to the shore Friday night and much to my dismay, the store is now owned by Middle Eastern gents who looked like they just completed class on car bombing techniques.
I was going to turn around as soon as I walked in but I needed beer so I gritted my teeth and bought it.
When I got down the shore, I looked at the bottles and the best if used by date was April 2008. Real nice.
They won't be seeing this boy ever again.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
After sampling a number of beers in Manhattan this weekend, my friends and I stopped into an old haunt of ours in Gramercy. They used to have a very good selection of Belgians, but the bar manager now is focusing more on higher quality liquor and mixed drinks and the beer menu is getting stale.

Ended up trying a Chimay blue. I've had the Chimay tan before. The blue was just awful. The tan isn't so hot, but it's better.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
After sampling a number of beers in Manhattan this weekend, my friends and I stopped into an old haunt of ours in Gramercy. They used to have a very good selection of Belgians, but the bar manager now is focusing more on higher quality liquor and mixed drinks and the beer menu is getting stale.

Ended up trying a Chimay blue. I've had the Chimay tan before. The blue was just awful. The tan isn't so hot, but it's better.

Chimay Grande Reserve takes the cake.. not sure of the color though. Compared to other stuff on the market, they all rate high in my book. Cant see any tasting "awful." Must of uncorked bad bottle.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott, that is sad news about the liquor store in Buena. They had a really good selection of beer.

I know it's hard to believe but I am really not that prejudiced.

I will, however, go to extraordinary measures to avoid giving my business to anyone who:

a) Does not speak the English language fluently. ("Hello boss!" or "Fill it up Chief?" is not close enough for me)

b) Knowingly sells food and beverage products beyond their proper time window. (Have experienced this more than once with Wawa turned BaBa stores)

c) Does not smile and appear somewhat appreciative of my patronage.

I do patronize Ancora Liquors, which is owned by Hindus because they are genuinely nice to me and appreciate my business.
The woman and co-owner, is very pretty and always smiles and has something nice to say.
Can't ask for anything more than that.

Scott

Oct 25, 2006

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I know it's hard to believe but I am really not that prejudiced.

I will, however, go to extraordinary measures to avoid giving my business to anyone who:

a) Does not speak the English language fluently. ("Hello boss!" or "Fill it up Chief?" is not close enough for me)

b) Knowingly sells food and beverage products beyond their proper time window. (Have experienced this more than once with Wawa turned BaBa stores)

c) Does not smile and appear somewhat appreciative of my patronage.

I do patronize Ancora Liquors, which is owned by Hindus because they are genuinely nice to me and appreciate my business.
The woman and co-owner, is very pretty and always smiles and has something nice to say.
Can't ask for anything more than that.

Scott

Sadly the same situation you saw at Buena is all over the area, and sprinklings of good situations like you encounter at Ancora liquor are the exception. I can recommend Westmont Liquors and a true gentlemen by the name of Arum. This guy would pass your test Scott, always pleasant, knowledgable about his product.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I know Jerseyman is lurking this thread, so let me ask something that I've often wondered about:

Was it hard to come by a beer in the Pine Barrens Jug Taverns of old?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
HawkinNative said:
I had my most enjoyable rum buying experience in a suburb of Miami. When the clerk saw the high end, dark aged rums I was buying we started to talk about the libation. Another customer, an old Cuban immigrant who didn't speak English joined in with the clerk translating what he was saying for me. I learned a lot about rum in "old" Cuba. We must have enjoyed each others company for a half an hour sharing our love of good rum.

Hawkin, can you recommend a good dark rum to drink neat or on the rocks ?
I have always liked Myers but as with anything else, I am sure there are some outstanding examples of the craft out there.
Thanks for any tips.
Scott

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Hawkin, can you recommend a good dark rum to drink neat or on the rocks ?
I have always liked Myers but as with anything else, I am sure there are some outstanding examples of the craft out there.
Thanks for any tips.
Scott

Not sure how much you do, or do not know, about rum, but when purchasing from companies in Central and South America, many use the 5 star system on the neck of the bottle.. 4 or 5 stars is a very good rum. The stars are out of 5, but I've had many a good 3 star rums too. Most of these rums I drink on the rocks or sometimes plain. We have a place in Puerto Rico where I often pretend Im a pirate for a few weeks. I always need a vacation after that vacation. Im sure Hawkin has some good info too. Myer's is ok for the rum most stores around here carry, but theres way better out there. Cheers.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Any one like Magic Hat. I had there summer brew Wacko this weekend, kind of a mellow beer. It is the color of beet juice, Is there any other brews with this color?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Hewey, "Wacko" is the only beer I know of with that grapefruit-like reddish-pinkish hue. The color is the best feature of this otherwise bland beer, IMNSHO.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
HawkinNative said:
Scott,

Barbancourt is great stuff! Get the 5 star. It's funny - when I first tried the five star many years ago it was a 15 year old rum. Now it's released as an 8 year old.

I love, and just finally found up here, Diplimatico Rum.

Cruzan Single Barrel is also a fantastic rum.

Ron Zacapa 23 has a never ending cognac-like finish.

I drink all of the above neat in either a snifter or single malt glass.

Also for reviews and a near bottomless source of info check out:
http://www.ministryofrum.com/index.php

Thanks Hawkin!
I think I'll be strappin' on the peg leg this weekend and trying the Barbancourt for starters.
Yarrrgggghhh!!