Biggest Solar Storm in Five Years

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
The effects should start smacking Earth between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. EST Thursday3/8/12, according to forecasters at the federal government's Space Weather Prediction Center. They say the storm, which started with a massive solar flare, is growing as it speeds outward from the sun.
WASHINGTON—The largest solar storm in five years is racing toward Earth, threatening to unleash a torrent of charged particles that could disrupt power grids, GPS and airplane flights.
The sun erupted Tuesday evening, and the effects should start smacking Earth between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. EST Thursday, according to forecasters at the federal government's Space Weather Prediction Center. They say the storm, which started with a massive solar flare, is growing as it speeds outward from the sun
"It's hitting us right in the nose," said Joe Kunches, a scientist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. He called it the sun's version of "Super Tuesday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...disrupt-power-grid-air-travel/article2361702/

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
4f58a1d883e94.preview-300.jpg

AP Photo/NASA

This extreme ultraviolet wavelength image provided by NASA shows a solar flare. An impressive solar flare is heading toward Earth and could disrupt power grids, GPS and airplane flights. An impressive solar flare is heading toward Earth and could disrupt power grids, GPS and airplane flights. Forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Space Weather Prediction Center said the sun erupted Tuesday evening and the effects should start smacking Earth late Wednesday night, close to midnight EST. They say it is the biggest in five years and growing.

A giant blast of plasma spat

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Evidently it hasn't created the problems that everyone feared...

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/News030712-X5-4.html

UPDATE 03/08/12
At the time of writing this was still a minor storm, rated a G1 on a scale of G1 to G5.

My GPS got an instant position fix when I turned it on this morning with 9 ft accuracy. Have been listening to XM radio all day with no problems. So I'm gonna live dangerously and remove my tinfoil hat for the rest of the day. :D

tinfoil-hat.jpg