bilg old building on 206

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
on 206 up in Bordentown, before you get to the Columbus Mart if you are headed north, there is a big old building on the left hand side, right on the road. It is at the red light at I believe Jacksonville Rd, right across the street from a WaWa. Looks like it might of been a store of some kind, any idea what this place may of been?
Brian

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I thought I answered this a few days ago, but can't locate that thread.
I was told it was a feed store like Kirby's in Medford. I've been driving past it since 1976, and never saw it open.

Ed

opineonthepines

May 24, 2004
new jersey
hmmm. i've always wondered about it too. there is some wierd jesus saves sign posted on the building facing the wawa.

across the highway from the store is what looks like a cleaned-up junkyard. i remember as a child riding in the car with my parent to and from trenton and passing that stretch of 206. they would always comment on the guy who lived in the teepee on the property. something about how he owned alot of the land, but didn't pay taxes, so the state took it over and gave him only a small parcel to live on.

anyone ever heard anything similar?

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
opineonthepines said:
hmmm. i've always wondered about it too. there is some wierd jesus saves sign posted on the building facing the wawa.

across the highway from the store is what looks like a cleaned-up junkyard. i remember as a child riding in the car with my parent to and from trenton and passing that stretch of 206. they would always comment on the guy who lived in the teepee on the property. something about how he owned alot of the land, but didn't pay taxes, so the state took it over and gave him only a small parcel to live on.

anyone ever heard anything similar?
The mans name was "Lucky" Mihalchik. He had billboards of a red rat with Nixons face on it, and a few other anti-war, anti-government slogans. I know he had quite a bit of old military hardware on his property and I clearly remember the large teepee. Many people would park along the highway and take pictures. The site has been cleaned up for 20 years or so.

B

BarryC

I've been driving back and forth to North Jersey once or twice a year since 1985, and that building always caught my eye. I've never seen it in any different condition than it's in now. I wondered what it was too.
As to the junkyard, I vaguely remember a locomotive in there, that you could see from 206. That locomotive was moved to a bar on Route 30 in Galloway, and now sits next to the Atlantic County Harley-Davidson dealership, a little further up Route 30, still in Galloway.
I wonder what made the author of that website say the building is in Springfield Township, Camden County? Interesting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The owner of the junk yard was always on the radio with Erv Homer, discussing conspiracy theories and political ideas. He was a strange man.

Guy

supercilious

Scout
Jun 27, 2004
memory

its been awhile but across the street i think you can see old ruins of a building bulldozed into a pile, across the street from the old building at the Wawa light there was a gas station. I dont know the time frame of the station but from hearing my fathers friends talk i can assume it was the 50's or up to the 60's. The corner there was quite developed since it was a main intersection between Fort Dix and Burlington. i assume thats why that corner has not been developed, i guess there are gas tanks in the ground and people are afraid of buying it and developing it, i take that as good. Just some extra info for you

dzurinkod

Dec 26, 2004
Bordentown N.J.
The old white building across the side street from the WAWA was at one time a place where farmers would go to sell certain crops. My father-in-law was a Bordentown area farmer since early 50's. He tells me they would sell crops there years ago. I'm pretty sure that is the building that the original post was referring to. The old junkyard is about 1/2 mile up the road on the northbound side.

Dave