Boyd's Map of the Pines beta available

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That's odd. I have been using Trend for several years and it's never complained when connecting any of my Garmin GPS'es. Since it's just a USB disk, it's certainly possible that a virus could infect it though. Will be interested to hear what Garmin and Trend say about this. It's not something I've heard of on any of the GPS forums.

A couple years ago there was a thread at GPSReview about virus software flagging an infected file on a user's Nuvi. Just looked quickly and couldn't find it, which may be better because it was a bit contentious. IIRC, the OP was from South America and when he contacted his local Garmin representative they eventually admitted that a machine they used to pre-load maps spread a virus to some units.

Did trend flag a specific file as a problem? I vaguely recall some other old discussion of false positives coming from GarminDevice.xml. That is a file which is regenerated every time your Oregon starts up. It describes the capabilities of the device, including software version, available memory, etc. and is used to tell software like Webupdater, Basecamp and other Garmin software what your unit can do.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That's odd. I have been using Trend for several years and it's never complained when connecting any of my Garmin GPS'es. Since it's just a USB disk, it's certainly possible that a virus could infect it though. Will be interested to hear what Garmin and Trend say about this. It's not something I've heard of on any of the GPS forums.

A couple years ago there was a thread at GPSReview about virus software flagging an infected file on a user's Nuvi. Just looked quickly and couldn't find it, which may be better because it was a bit contentious. IIRC, the OP was from South America and when he contacted his local Garmin representative they eventually admitted that a machine they used to pre-load maps spread a virus to some units.

Did trend flag a specific file as a problem? I vaguely recall some other old discussion of false positives coming from GarminDevice.xml. That is a file which is regenerated every time your Oregon starts up. It describes the capabilities of the device, including software version, available memory, etc. and is used to tell software like Webupdater, Basecamp and other Garmin software what your unit can do.

Trend doesn't flag anything, just an MS error message is issued for the Trend Micro Anti-Malware Solution Platform which says it must close, yet it does not and stays active. It's occuring during the attachment as a drive. I get the MS 'what do you want to do' window and the Garmin disk window, then the message hits. Trend must be seeing something on the 450 as malware. I'll play with it a bit, will try taking the mem card out and see what happens. Weird science.

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
boyd........................i received a garmin pathfinder for a present but the directions were meaningless..................i presume it is some kind of fancy compass.....................any hints on how it is set up to use.........................or how to use...............i realize it probably takes a small book to do it justice,but any hints would help..............many thanks,strom

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Hi Strom. Unfortunately, I don't know what a Garmin Pathfinder is. Are you sure it's called a "Pathfinder"? Awhile ago you said you got an eTrex as a present. Is that what you mean?

my son sent me a garmin etrek.......................the manual was useless............i presume it is to be used much like a compass.........................any advice on how to use it,as for example,how to set a destination

I posted a reply, but maybe you missed it. Have a look at the YouTube video (See below) that I suggested and let me know if that helps. Some of the eTrex models can display a map, others cannot.

There are many different types of eTrex units. Do you have the yellow one? Maybe this video will help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BA_xqZusAw

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just an update on the security issue; I received reponses from Trend and Garmin. Garmin says that some files on the 450 have been know to cause issues with some security software. Their suggestion was to disable the security software. :rolleyes: I've asked Garmin for a list of files that may cause an issue. Trend has asked for more info and the dialog with them continues. The list of files, if provided, may be of some help.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I finally got my Oregon 450. I loaded Boyds nj 2012, some of US Topo East and Wharton 1995 aerials into the main memory. I I have an Amazon 16G micro sd, 10 and am loading that with Garmin Birdseye. Since downloads are limited to 230 MB, I must make a mosaic. What techniques does anyone have to accomplish this. Right now I am just butting rectangles against one another. Do you let them overlap and do you play with the draw order?

Thanks,
Ed

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I don't have a good answer for that - it's a real pain. I wish they would provide a grid of some kind that you could "snap" to. This has been a common complaint. I have just used small overlaps myself in the past and have not played with draw order (that's a new feature which wasn't available when I did my big downloads).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I overlapped. If you don't you will find that there are area's missing.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I use a small overlap. Check how High & Highest detail look for what you are loading as you can get a lot more loaded with High. Some areas show no difference between the 2 detail levels.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just an update on the security issue; I received reponses from Trend and Garmin. Garmin says that some files on the 450 have been know to cause issues with some security software. Their suggestion was to disable the security software. :rolleyes: I've asked Garmin for a list of files that may cause an issue. Trend has asked for more info and the dialog with them continues. The list of files, if provided, may be of some help.

The problem appears to be Trend's. They had recommended I unistall/reinstall their software. I thought that a bit drastic. For ha-ha's, I reduced the security level in Trend by one level. Problem removed. Trend is aware and IMO needs to take a look at their highest level of security and its interaction with some USB attached devices. BTW, Garmin never provided the list of files and really took no interest in the problem.

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
sorry boyd, i forgot to note your suggestion on the video...............great....im going to study it for a while and see if i can get to use the thing....................many thanks for your help...................i usually dont get lost......only when i want to.............strom

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Something new for 2013...

It's a little late for a Christmas present, but better late than never. :) I've been looking for a way to share the wealth of Pines LIDAR imagery so last year I introduced a Garmin map, but the level of detail was low and you need a GPS to use it.

So I'm now in the process of putting the full resolution data on a new website where you can view it in your browser. It's been a LOT of years since I built a site and I'm sitting here with a copy of "Teach Yourself Javascript" next to the computer. :D The first couple days were frustrating, but in less than a week I've put together an alpha version that you can visit here:

https://boydsmaps.com

Remember, it's an alpha version meaning there will be some bugs and downtime, and things will change. Right now only a small area is online, but eventually all of Southern NJ will be available. The current coverage consists of 6 USGS 24k quads (Medford Lakes, Indian Mills, Chatsworth, Hammonton, Atsion and Jenkins).

I've tested it with Firefox and Internet Explorer on Windows and Safari on the Mac. There is one issue that I only see in Firefox. Whenever you move the map it adds links to the browser history. This doesn't happen in Safari or IE (anyone know why window.location.replace() is doing this when it shouldn't? ). I'm sort of a babe lost in the Pines when it comes to Javascript. :) My version of Firefox is pretty old, so maybe that's the problem.

Anyway, give it a try and see what you think. You can link to any location by just dragging/zooming the map until the crosshairs point to what you want. You cannot change the position of the crosshairs, they are always in the middle of the window. As you move the map you will see the coordinates in the browser address bar change. For example, this is Apple Pie Hill:

https://boydsmaps.com/#lidar,39.807076,-74.589303,16

Looking at the URL above, lidar is the type of map (only type available), 39.807076,-74.589303 are the lattitude/longitude and 16 is the zoom setting. Just copy the full address from your browser and paste it into a post to create a link. If you just go to boydsmaps.com, it will take you to a spot near the center of the map.

Notice that you are limited to 4 levels of zoom. Without getting too technical, each zoom level requires 4x the number of files as the previous level. Unlike the NJPB maps, these maps are stored in local files on my server and there are a lot of them - about 4,000 files (map tiles) for each USGS quad.

That's about it for now. Hope you enjoy the maps. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gibby and dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Excellent Boyd! I only had a minute to look but the map is great. I will check it out more tonight. One thing I did notice is the Batona Trail line is hard to see in white. Can you make it darker?

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks. There are a number of issues that I see now that this is online and I'll be re-rendering and updating later today. Choosing colors/styles for the roads, trails and text is a real challenge because there's such a large range of colors to the terrain. Not sure exactly how to deal with this - a trail that stands out nicely against a dark green lowland background is hard to see against the yellow background of the higher elevations.

It's a work in progress... :)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Very nice Boyd! I am looking forward to your site being completed. It will another great resource for us to utilize in our adventures.