bullock

raven

May 6, 2007
Whiting
Does anyone have any historical images of bullock station? Was there a building where the train stopped?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a few things I can pass along to help you. I have to get it together.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you researching Bullock?

I don't have any photo's but Jerseyman may have some. However, I suspect that the Bullock station was just for transporting fruit from the Summit Fruit Farm which most likely utilized the cranberry bogs nearby.

Here is a survey map of the Former Summit Property. I am sorry for the quality but I took the photo's on the roof of my car. The owner of the survey and I met up on a dirt road near there and the roof was the best place to keep the map flat. Later he gave me the map to copy and I now have a copy. On the back is written "Map showing land of W. R. Hancock."

You can see circled in yellow an arrow pointing to the location of where the station was located. The circles in all the photo's show the corners of the cranberry bogs there that most likely used the station. I put the circles there just for clarity. The arrow points to the county line between Ocean and Burlington.

bullock1.jpg

bullock2.jpg

bullock3.jpg

Bullock was named after Anthony Bullock. As far as I can tell he was from Chesterfield and at one time was one of the richest men in the county. I believe he died January 5, 1898 and I believe his wife was Anna W. Bullock. Jerseyman may be able to prove me right or wrong.

And if you are interested in the history of Bullock you may want to go to the Ocen County Clerks Office and search Book 253 page 304 where it will show the sale by Dennis Kennedy to Anthiony Bullock.

MoreInfo:

Date: December 25, 1907

Decisions were handed down last week(presumably a reference to the week of Sunday, December 15, 1907 through Saturday, December 21, 1907) by the Burlington County Tax Board on (a) large number of appeals as follows: The following decisions were announced after the meeting of the board at the court house, Mount Holly, on Tuesday(presumably a reference to December 17, 1907): ... Estate of Anthony Bullock appealed from assessment of $6,000 on cranberry bogs in Woodland and the claim to have the amount reduced to $5,000. An appeal from the same estate to have the assessment of $500 on personal property wiped out, because the estate does not possess such effects was allowed, and the assessor was instructed to add to the duplicate $150. of personal property to Mrs. Bullock's bill. ... (It is unclear whether the estate referred to herein is that of a deceased individual or not.)

If you know anything that may be of interest to us I am sure everyone would be thrilled to view it.

Guy

raven

May 6, 2007
Whiting
Hi,

Yes, thank you so much. I am very interested. I have photos of the last train stop at the station and I also have photo of the Bullock sign and of residents on Mt Misery Rd from the 1800's. I must scan them so that I can share them.

thank you and have a very Merry Christmas!
Raven

Raven:

The railroad facilities at Bullock comprised only a freight station, constructed in 1885. The Central removed the building from its right-of-way by 1926. This is the singular photograph I own of the building, taken in 1916 by the Interstate Commerce Commission field inspection engineering crew:

Bullock.jpg

With his large cranberry-bog holdings near Woodmansie, Anthony Bullock used this freight station for shipping his baskets and cases to market on the Central Railroad of New Jersey. As trucks gained the ascendancy on New Jersey’s ever-improving network of twentieth-century highways, the freight station fell into disuse and the railroad finally dismantled it.

I would be most interested in viewing scans and/or photographs of the material you hold.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Thanks, Jerseyman and Guy. I've always wondered what Bullock was all about.

I probably wouldn't be going out on a limb to speculate that the town proper probably held buildings to house the migrant workers? I wonder where the packing house was.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ok if no one else is going to ask ,I will.Did you find those stones in Bullock?Kind of a disturbed looking area but I know you looked:).
Stone huntin is down and out till this cold fluffy stuff goes away.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ok if no one else is going to ask ,I will.Did you find those stones in Bullock?Kind of a disturbed looking area but I know you looked:).
Stone huntin is down and out till this cold fluffy stuff goes away.
Al

No. The locations where the stones are on the county line and near there have all missing so I was not able to find the first one which as you know leads to the rest. So I basically was using an educated guess to find them which was not very educated I guess :(

I am glad I went there though. I found a nice little bridge right off the tracks that we all pass quite often and don't even know about most likely. I also got to meet the owner of the bogs on the other side of the road and he took me for a drive in his truck around the bogs to look for the AB Stones (Anthony Bullock). They are missing. The three of us did find a state monument. I visited there twice after that and he saw Jessica and I walking along the fence and left us alone and told me so the next time I visited him. He usually checks when he sees people walking on the outside of his fence but he knew what we were doing and just left us alone. He is a very nice fellow. I gave him a copy of the survey of his property that he had not viewed before. His family owned it and he inherited it. It was off season and he had men working there on the bogs and he told me that they were quite good at what they do. He spoke highly of the farm labor who worked for him which impressed me, and I will always remember him for that. There is a gun club on his property that he lets use the building and they have to pay insurance to him to do that. He has nothing to do with the club if I remember correctly.

The bridge along the JCRR.

bridge.JPG

The bog owner in Lebanon.

cliffstar.JPG

The Lebanon monument where the AB stone should be.

IMG_6307.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Another interesting tidbit is that what today is Mt. Misery Road at the JCRR tracks was a private lane that ended not far from the tracks. The CCC most likely altered it in later years.

This survey shows where it ends in relation to the tracks where the station was.

mtmisery.jpg

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Stones disappear so fast.It's like they put them in so the next guy can come alog and bury them.All they want to do is grow moss and be left alone.maybe thats why so many like to bury themselves so they can hardly be found:-0)
Al