Culture of the Pinelands

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
There’s no better place to learn about New Jersey’s famous Pinelands than at the 18th annual Pine Barrens Jamboree, running from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m Saturday at Wells Mills County Park on Route 532 in Waretown.
Featuring “down-home melodies and memories,” according to Park Recreation Aide Juta Nolan, this day-long festival will celebrate the history and culture of the Pinelands and showcase music, crafts and activities.
Among the many attractions at the Jamboree will be all-day live music presented by nearby Albert Music Hall in conjunction with the Pinelands Cultural Society. The nine local country, bluegrass and rockabilly bands performing — which include Piney Hollow Drifters, Cedar Creek, and Blue Grass Road — will showcase the singing, picking and playing of mandolins, fiddles and banjos, “a style of music that truly reflects the unique sound of the Pinelands and provides additional insight into the traditions of this special region,” said Elaine Everett, public relations manager for Albert Music Hall. The bands also will remember the late Jim Murphy, leader of the group Jim Murphy and the Pine Barons, long-time staples at both Albert Music Hall and the jamborees.
This year, the festival pays tribute to the Hindenburg, the legendary hydrogen-filled airship that caught fire 75 years ago during a period of high winds and heavy rain and crashed at the nearby Lakehurst Naval Air Station, killing 36. In tribute, Jamboree attendees will have an opportunity to hear stories and see pictures and artifacts from Harry King, an official baggage handler for the Hindenburg, as shared by his son Doug under the event’s Piney Tent.

http://special.app.com/article/20121012/NJLIFE/310120011/null

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I had so much to eat at the Jamboree today I overheard a kid say to his mother, "Hey mom, what did the Hindenburg look like?"

She pointed at me and said, "Like that." :D