Delaware Archaeology Month.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
After reading some of the events, I can see how people get really hooked on archeology. Its kind of like a treasure hunt, puzzle, discovery, and history lesson all rolled into one. Plus it gets you outdoors.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
This Sunday, May 21st, colleagues and I will be doing a public archaeology excavation at Iron Hill in DE. Volunteers will have the opportunity to excavate along with professionals.

Iron Hill is just over the Delaware Memorial bridge, approximately 45 minutes from the Camden, NJ area.

Afterward, we'll likely be going to the Iron Hill brewery for some food and drinks.

If any of you would like to join us, feel free. Also, if you'd like to come but need more information, please feel free to PM me.

:)

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Sunday was the Iron Hill Archaeology Festival, which was one of the many scheduled events of Delaware’s Archaeology Month. I was pleased to see so many people turn out, and was impressed with the planning and organization of the festival. Besides three excavation units that were opened for the public to participate in excavation, there were Revolutionary and Civil War historians and re-enactors, an amazing display of artifacts from the shipwreck from the Lewes laboratory, activities for children including clay pottery making and the ubiquitous festival activity of face-painting, a remarkable flint knapper demonstrating stone tool making, archery demonstrations, and an exhibit of native food preparation techniques, complete with samples of traditional foods to taste. It was nice to see so many colleagues and friends, and it is always a joy to explain archaeology to people who are genuinely interested and excited to learn about it.

I walked away with the idea that New Jersey should really take the Delaware Archaeology Festival as a model, and try to plan something similar in our state. (I think someone in the ASNJ initiated the idea of a New Jersey Archaeology Month some years back, but not much ever came of it.)

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Iron Hill is associated with sites from the Paleoindian Period (13,000-7,900 BCE) through historic times; the units on Sunday produced debitage which is generally undatable, but assuredly prehistoric.

Perhaps you can make it next time!