Estell Manor Park & Tuckahoe WMA

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Today Ro & I visited these two places new to us. We first stopped at the Park north end trail, took pix of the artesian well, the ruins, the Smith/Ireland cemetery, and the frozen North River which was making cracking noises with the change in the tide. We then went to the main park entry, toured the well stocked nature center and enjoyed talking with the knowledgeable and enthusiastic naturalist - Leslie. We drove the Purple Heart Drive, left the Park and further south entered the Tuckahoe WMA. The 8 mile loop around the impoundments was reminiscent of Forsythe/Brigantine and Delaware's Bombay Hook. Weather clear but cold has frozen out most wildlife; we did see a dozen plus Tundra Swans and a couple of Great Blue Herons (wondering what they're feeding on) and a couple of distant accipters.

Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Nice! You were in my own backyard today, I am about 3 miles from the park entrance. There are some very interesting ruins along the many trails in the park, but the real gems are hidden deep in the dense thickets where very few people have ever been.

Have a look at my map if you haven't already downloaded it: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

I have included all the trails in the park, and it even corrects some errors on the official maps that are posted there. If you don't have a GPS you can still view and print the map using Garmin's free software (Mapsource or Basecamp).

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Today Ro & I visited these two places new to us. We first stopped at the Park north end trail, took pix of the artesian well, the ruins, the Smith/Ireland cemetery, and the frozen North River which was making cracking noises with the change in the tide. We then went to the main park entry, toured the well stocked nature center and enjoyed talking with the knowledgeable and enthusiastic naturalist - Leslie. We drove the Purple Heart Drive, left the Park and further south entered the Tuckahoe WMA. The 8 mile loop around the impoundments was reminiscent of Forsythe/Brigantine and Delaware's Bombay Hook. Weather clear but cold has frozen out most wildlife; we did see a dozen plus Tundra Swans and a couple of Great Blue Herons (wondering what they're feeding on) and a couple of distant accipters.
I think you mean South River????:)

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
As the perpetrator responsible for this recent direction of this thread, I can't resist quoting an old co-worker in RCA Radar Systems - Dr. Sid Shucker - "no nit is too small to pick."
He's also responsible for "Shucker's Rule", but that belongs on/deserves a new thread.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Here's pix from that trip: From Rte 563 bridge over the Mullica

Estell Manor Park artesian well and ruins
South, I said South River, at Estell Manor boat launch
Smith Ireland cemetery at Estell Manor
Sign on NJ 50 at Estell Manor Park
Ruins to the rear of the above sign

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg