First Robins of the year

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
On Saturday I had my first sighting of Robins, which I thought to be amazingly early, especially for the coldest day of the Winter. There were about 5 of them pecking at the ground in my front lawn. This seems way too early.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
The last time I was down at Edwin B. Forsythe that was the main sight everything else was staying hidden from the cold winds But Robins?......... all over the place ,they are an astonishing bird, very resilient.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I saw my first Robins on friday while working in the Kensington section of Philly. They are very resilient birds!

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Around here, robins stay all winter nowadays. Just like the messy Canadian geese. When I was a kid, you would only see geese in Spring and Fall. Must be due to the global warming.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
No it's because of all the construction. Put in a retention pond and within a weeks time you have 100 of those filthy buggers. They need to have open season on them for about three or four years to reduce there numbers

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Goose population

Where I work our parking lot is often crowded at night with Geese making it nearly impossible to walk thru the parking lot without stepping on the droppings left by so many geese. We tried using the Geese Police and their dogs, which was effective, but costly. We finally went to an electronic system which uses several well placed speakers and I believe simulates the sound of a goose in distress. This system works very well.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
The cornfield at the edge of my property always has tons of Migratory birds landing in it. I have seen tens of thousands of birds landing in it at a time, it is an amazing sight. Extremely loud but amazing