Forked River Mountain / East Mountain

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I have an iPhone and use AT&T (it was the only provider that uses iPhones). My reception is great all through Wharton until I get to the Batsto area. I still get reception, but only one-two bars down there. But then again if I move a foot or two I can pick it up better...

Lloyd Taylor

Oct 16, 2012
Waretown, NJ
First, I have to tell you that the mountain is actually private property even though everyone goes there all the time. I figured I would tell you this before you go. Before the rain it was quite easy to get there in a car, but now that it has rained I would be very careful going there. With that said, you can at least try to drive as close as possible and walk the rest of the way on foot. Wear boots that you don't mind getting muddy. Depending on where you live you may want to try different access points, but the most popular way is to access the road to it from 539 at the 16.5 milepost. You really should learn how to read a map before you go out there. If you don't have a GPS how will you know you are on the right road or at the right location without a map, and you need to know how to read it.

I would suggest you do a little homework and look Ben's map over at the below link and plan your route from the location I have marked. Switch back and forth to the topo and you will find the way there. The Forked River Mountain Coalition is not in the business of giving directions and I doubt they will answer. And Wells Mills Park is part of the state and even if they knew I doubt they would tell you how to access private property.

Enter here. Look this map over closely it may save you a lot of headaches.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.83609097797199&lng=-74.37993049621582&z=14&type=nj1995&gpx=

Guy
Teegate- the map is amazing and a ton of work, as one who runs the sand roads of the FRM I say thanks!!!!