Friday Failed Frog Find

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I headed out with Rob from work tonight to photograph tree frogs, and while out there we also wanted to see if Arethusa was located in the area of the Tulpehocken we were visiting. With Jessica under the weather and not able to attend, we arrived at Friendship Bogs just a little after 7 at the usual location I visit to find them. I could tell by the silence it was going to be a bad night. In any event, we headed to our second location and entered into the Tulp. Using aerial photo's, Bob had given me a few precision locations where I might want to try and find Arethusa. It is really scary how accurate he was. By this time it was after 8PM and getting dark and I was having problems seeing even though the photo's seem bright.

Arriving

IMG_9683.JPG

Soon

IMG_9677.JPG

Almost

IMG_9676.JPG

IMG_9672.JPG

IMG_9668.JPG

With the absence of tree frogs most likely because of the cooler weather, we heading back to my car parked along the road. As we exited the cedar swamp I saw that the Park Police were at my car. He was a huge man talking on his hand held radio when he spotted us. He thought my car was stolen and was checking on it. As soon as I told him we were Arethusa and frog hunting he returned to his car and we were on our way. He could not have been nicer. Chalk up a good encounter with the Park Police! I was genuinely impressed.

Guy

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yes, I think the cooler weather sent the frogs into hiding. Two nights ago when it was really humid at night they out in full force, but the last two nights they have been silent around my way too.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I have a small retention pond right behind my house and listen to them when I go to bed, two nights ago I heard my first PBTF:cool: . When they start back up I can let you know, maybe they will be on the same schedule at Friendship Bogs.

John

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That Arethusa is a nice find in that area Guy. They are a species of special concern in NJ, but I think they need a higher rating, like threatened or endangered. My favorite plant in NJ.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I may go back later today and see if I can find them in the other locations you mentioned they may be in.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Hey Guy,

The next time you're at the pbtf bog near Friendship and if you hear any frog activity (after dark), do yourself a huge favor and continue out the path that separates the tree frog bogs and head up to the bigger bog that contains all the carpenter frogs. Gloria and I hiked out there after photographing the tree frogs Monday evening and were treated to probably the nicest biophonic soundscape each of us has ever heard. In visits past the carpenter frogs were almost overbearing, but on this night they clacked along almost timidly, yet by the thousands; with the tree frogs going off from their neck of the woods behind us, and a soft mixture of green frogs and Fowler's in the big bog in front of us ... not to mention the visuals ... what a treat.

Bill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bill,

Thanks for the tip! I just wish I had more evening throughout the year to do this sort of thing.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What is the animal that sounds like a Bob White in this video that only has sound that I took last night in a bog?

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yeah I thought a whippoorwill too.

Guy as we discussed today it got stinking cold last night in the pines. After leaving you today Guy I drove back up towards friendship and appeared the Boys Scouts parents are very good at drilling every painted turtle on roads, no dead snakes though;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
With Jessica under the weather I decided to go out today on my own and ran into Dragon for the first time. It was nice to meet him and his friend. I also saw this large pine snake sunning itself on a road.

IMG_9691.JPG

Unbelievably, I also ran into Gibby for the second time and we did some serious hiking along the Tulp looking for Arethusa. All we found were the same ones I visited earlier. While heading there we found this large turtle along a road. It was in serious risk of getting run over so I moved it off the road. Who knows if it returned. (Remember our conversation today Dragon?)

IMG_9692.JPG

IMG_9693.JPG

Gibby and I parted and I then looked unsuccessfully for a few Friendship Bogs monuments I have never visited.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was up there also and I did not see anything dead. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough. I hope I didn't do it :bang:

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, that serious hike in to the Arethusa reminded me of how much of a worn out turd I am at the end of the week. I had a blast and it was well worth the effort. ;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Teegate, that serious hike in to the Arethusa reminded me of how much of a worn out turd I am at the end of the week. I had a blast and it was well worth the effort. ;)

Work can do that to you for sure! You did fine.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy these were on the other side of the road, so your ok:) . Worst part is all were carrying eggs and smashed to bits. I managed to bring one dead painted turtle home and cut 3 eggs out of her and burried them in some dirt, hopefully they hatch so all isn't lost. Like I said turtles are a pain in the ass, they will cross a road two or three times if spooked, snakes are more straight line travelers and are hard wired to go from point to point.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Let us know how the eggs do. Also, did you see the Park Ranger go by you after we just had talked about them?

Guy