Fries Mill

Feb 26, 2024
Vineland
you do know the southern chimney fell down last year don't you? I have heard anyway,aint been by it since it fell
Yes, noticed that a couple months ago. The rest are still up

Attachments

• IMG_5542.jpeg
    IMG_5542.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5543.jpeg
    IMG_5543.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 58
Reactions: 66C10 and Boyd

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
That seems suspicious. Seems pretty close together with the collapse of the single chimney that was at the ruins of the old house near the creek (I posted a photo in the first post in this thread). I wonder if someone is going back there and smashing them up.

Here's what the chimney in your first photo looked like in December 2022:
A7501134.jpg

All of the vines are gone as well?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024
Vineland
That seems suspicious. Seems pretty close together with the collapse of the single chimney that was at the ruins of the old house near the creek (I posted a photo in the first post in this thread). I wonder if someone is going back there and smashing them up.

Here's what the chimney in your first photo looked like in December 2022:
View attachment 22110

All of the vines are gone as well?
I took those photos this past Sunday 2/25/24 and the one chimney was clear of vines while one was not. I did not photograph the collapsed chimney by the water.

Attachments

• IMG_5541.jpeg
    IMG_5541.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5540.jpeg
    IMG_5540.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5539.jpeg
    IMG_5539.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: 66C10 and stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I took those photos this past Sunday 2/25/24 and the one chimney was clear of vines while one was not. I did not photograph the collapsed chimney by the water.

Ahh, I see now. I misunderstood. I thought that one of the chimneys at the site with 2 of them had been toppled. I thought your first photo was showing some damage, but now I see that it isn't, it's just that the vines have been cleared away from it. That is interesting. I wonder why that would be done. And to one of them but not the other.

I’m heading back out this weekend so I will document the collapsed chimney if you’d like.

That one, the one by the creek, was already collapsed when I was last there, a little over a year ago.
A7501106.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ahh, I see now. I misunderstood. I thought that one of the chimneys at the site with 2 of them had been toppled. I thought your first photo was showing some damage, but now I see that it isn't, it's just that the vines have been cleared away from it. That is interesting. I wonder why that would be done. And to one of them but not the other.

That one, the one by the creek, was already collapsed when I was last there, a little over a year ago.
View attachment 22114
Thats not as bad as i imagined,half of its still there

Reactions: stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
If anyone wants to see how it used to look, it's at around 4:40 in this video, which is what got me interested in going there in the first place:

This also has footage of the adjacent NJ Silica Sand company ruins.

I really enjoy Tom Lynskey's work; he has so many great videos on many interesting topics and is worth subscribing to. However, I will note that he does pronounce both "Maurice River" and "Fries Mill" (should sound like "Frees Mill") like an out-of-towner in this video :)

Feb 26, 2024
Vineland
If anyone wants to see how it used to look, it's at around 4:40 in this video, which is what got me interested in going there in the first place:

This also has footage of the adjacent NJ Silica Sand company ruins.

I really enjoy Tom Lynskey's work; he has so many great videos on many interesting topics and is worth subscribing to. However, I will note that he does pronounce both "Maurice River" and "Fries Mill" (should sound like "Frees Mill") like an out-of-towner in this video :)
"this is gold Jerry, gold!"

Reactions: stiltzkin

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
I wish I could share the article about the passing of the mayflower descendant Louise Banks in 1931. It mentions her and her husband Wilson Banks owning 7000 acres in port Elizabeth and Manumuskin. It also mentions she worked as a telegraph operator in Manumuskin station which is where they meant. When the station was abandoned Mr. banks purchased the station and kept it standing as a reminder. So we know the station was abandoned but still standing as of 1931. The guy that shared it on Facebook gave me permission but I don’t know what newspaper is from and don’t want to have copyright issues here:(