Gee, what is it?

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
I was out in Byrne State Forest exploring and geocaching when I noticed this little white building about 150 feet into the woods. It was about 9 to 10 feet tall and the base of it was maybe 8 x 10, it had a cinderblock foundation that was only one layer, looks like it just holds the building in place. Inside, since the door was ripped off had cinderblocks all cemented together three rows high and the top was cemented smooth. I have never seen anything like it before. If anyone is in the area and you are GPS friendly, go to 39 55.040 074 31.260. I'm banking on Guy having an answer for some reason.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
JerseyJim said:
I was out in Byrne State Forest exploring and geocaching when I noticed this little white building about 150 feet into the woods. It was about 9 to 10 feet tall and the base of it was maybe 8 x 10, it had a cinderblock foundation that was only one layer, looks like it just holds the building in place. Inside, since the door was ripped off had cinderblocks all cemented together three rows high and the top was cemented smooth. I have never seen anything like it before. If anyone is in the area and you are GPS friendly, go to 39 55.040 074 31.260. I'm banking on Guy having an answer for some reason.

Jim...you are banking on he wrong person. I have not idea what it could be. I checked on the map where it is and have never been there. I have passed by on that road though.

I will check it out on Saturday if I get time. I will add it to my list of places to visit. Thanks for posting.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Jim...you are banking on he wrong person. I have not idea what it could be. I checked on the map where it is and have never been there. I have passed by on that road though.

I will check it out on Saturday if I get time. I will add it to my list of places to visit. Thanks for posting.

Guy

Guy, can you run up a terraserver photo of the location? I'd like to see where it is......bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Guy, can you run up a terraserver photo of the location? I'd like to see where it is......bob

Bob,

Terraserver has changed their format, and the target symbol is no longer available it seems. So go to the below link and just to the left of the word Mount is a black line that heads down to a road. The line ends but if it crossed the road that is where it is.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=18&X=1352&Y=11046&W=3&qs=|chatsworth|NJ|

It looks like Terraserver has changed for the worse :(

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I'm very familar with Bredan Bryne S.F. I don't have a GPS so I have no idea where you're refering to. My first guess is that it is a gauging station (was it situated next to a creek?) There are several in that area that fit the description you provided. If you could give me a road or landmark nerby I could be of more help.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
woodjin said:
I'm very familar with Bredan Bryne S.F. I don't have a GPS so I have no idea where you're refering to. My first guess is that it is a gauging station (was it situated next to a creek?) There are several in that area that fit the description you provided. If you could give me a road or landmark nerby I could be of more help.

Jeff

It is not either of the two gaging stations. I have been to both of them. The link I posted shows where we are talking about. Read two posts back.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
Bob,
Why don't you just enter the coords into USAPhotoMaps?

Steve

I should have. I just get lazy when I see the coordinate format I don't use.

I use d.mm'ss.s'

Should I switch to d'mm'.mmm'

?? Is it more common?

Bobaloo.............!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
It doesn't matter how you have the program set. You can enter any format and it will work. Steve

No, I mean should I use the format on my GPS that most people use from now on? Do most people use dd.mm.mmm?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
If I understand the instructions, you are refering to and area beyond the camp (traveling south) on Mt. Misery rd. before the intersection of butterworth rd. Is that correct? If that is right I've gone past this thing numerous times although I don't recall it right off the top of my head. I have noticed another "box" further into the woods in that relative area that appered to have served as a storage unit at one time (for what I don't know). This box I'm thinking of was of smaller dimensions than those described and was metal I think. I will check out this thing but I might be hardpressed to come up with an explaination. I'll check it out anyway, you never know.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
BobM said:
No, I mean should I use the format on my GPS that most people use from now on? Do most people use dd.mm.mmm?
Bob
The most common format for us land surveyors is degrees, minutes, seconds. Bearings contained in deeds and on survey documents use that format.
Having your GPS set for degrees and minutes to 3 decimal places (deg,m.mmm) will yield accurate locations to input into mapping sites and software.
A minute expressed to the thousandth is the equivalent of being able to express your seconds to two decimal places, which a lot of units do not have as an option.
If you have ever toyed with NJDEP Imap, the format on their high quality digital aerials is the State Plane Coordinate System (NAD 83).
You should be able to set your unit to that format as well and then you can search by coordinate value on their maps.
In addition, as you peruse the NJDEP maps, the State Plane coords beneath your cursor are displayed at the bottom of the screen.
I use Maptech.com more than anything when I am at work to get an initial lat/lon for an object then convert it to state plane using Corpscon (free program from Army Corps) or NJGS Conversion Utility (also free).
You can then enter the coords in IMap and light up multiple layers of data over your area.
Enjoy.
Scott

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
the building in question is just off of Mt. Misery Road, and it isn't near any stream, like I said I just caught it out of the corner of my eye as I have passed this spot many times, it is just weird.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I checked out the structure in question this morning. It appears to be the entrance way to a bomb shelter most like likely created during the cuban missle crisis. The main entrance located inside the structure has been sealed off with a large block of cinderblock cemented together.

Alright, just kidding. It looks more like it used to be an outhouse. There are ventilation holes near the base and additional vents along the walls. The cinderblock cap seems to have been set in place to seal off the hole dug for, well, you know. Sorry it wasn't something more interesting.

Jeff

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
shouldn't an Out House have a quarter moon on the door? LOL, I was kind of thinking that but I figured it was to easy, plus it is rather far from the nearest house and when nature calls I can't imagine making that far of a trip.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:

Unfortunately, you and I are probably the only two people who use D/M/S so it would be easier for you to switch formats to hddd°mm.mmm

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Unfortunately, you and I are probably the only two people who use D/M/S so it would be easier for you to switch formats to hddd°mm.mmm

Guy

Well, I think I'll stick to D/M/S for now. I cannot make up my mind. How about you?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah, it does seem far away from the nearest house. The construction appears to be more industrial than residential. It is also too new to have predated indoor plumbing (of course, out on jones mill rd. in Chatsworth I know there are still a few holding out on this new technology) I would guess that this might have been built by the methodist camp for convienence on hikes for the kids, though, you would think in that case they would have made it a little further away. I believe there is a horse farm not too far away, they might be responsible. I don't know

There is the possibility I could be wrong, it is rather spacious for just one toilet. but I still think it must have been an outhouse.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Well, I think I'll stick to D/M/S for now. I cannot make up my mind. How about you?

I am not switching. I prefer D/M/S because most of the things I do involve it. And it is easy to switch formats on the GPS if I really have to convert a coordinate. If I do not have my GPS and have to convert in a pinch, I just use 1.666.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Early this morning Jessica and I visited the building in question in this thread. Here is what we have come up with.

First there is and was electrical and phone connections going to this building, and there is multiple evidence of this.

Here is the electrical box right along the road there with the wires cut half way up the pole.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/12112004/IMG_4718.jpg

And here is the phone box with what must have been the name of the company that used the building. It was I assume Lamont Laboratories.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/12112004/IMG_4717.jpg

The multiple phone lines run through the trees and even use the trees to go to the building, and there is evidence of them within 50 feet of the building.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/12112004/IMG_4716.jpg

Examination of the building reveals a few things. There is a fire break dug around it to protect it from fires which obviously would not be the case if it was a bathroom which it appears not to be. Inside the building there is a very nicely build cinder block and cement base which took some time and skill to make.

In this photo you can see the fire break and the cinder block base.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/12112004/IMG_4708.jpg

Here is a closer view of the base.It looks like there is an outline of where something sat on the base, but that is not what it is. The cinder block rings the edges and the middle is all cement. Because of that there is a difference in the color that you see.You can also see the vents that are on the top and bottom sides of the building for ventilation. The Styrofoam was used to keep debris and other things from getting in.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/12112004/IMG_4710.jpg

The building is actually aligned and held together with crude wooden dowels which can be viewed in this photo. Also take notice that if you look at the roof it appears that there may be oil splatter or mold there.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/12112004/IMG_4707.jpg

Examining the outside closely I could not find where the electrical or phone lines would have entered the building which is the most interesting mystery to me.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/12112004/IMG_4711.jpg

If you decide to visit there in the warm weather be careful. Someone has written in magic marker this message.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/12112004/IMG_4706.jpg

And just 100 feet away is the Batona trail.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/12112004/IMG_4712.jpg

My opinion is that thee was some sort of equipment stored there that needed multiple phone lines. What exactly that may have been, and was it a company called Lamont Labs is uncertain.

Guy