Gee, what is it?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
So Ben, Guy, and Jeff want to go. Lets see what Jeff says about the time before we decide. Guy, if you are off next week, we could make it another day. 9 am is not too bad.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am only off Friday of next week. I still am not certain if I can make it this Friday. I will not be certain until tomorrow night. I am going to my brother-in-laws in the afternoon and have to be back early. I only mentioned the 9AM because if I can make it and we start at 10, it isn't worth me going and having to leave early.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Unfortunitly Christmas Eve will be very tough. We have company coming over and I seriously doubt I can get away. I know I mentioned before that I could be available most every morning but I didn't think you guys would pick Christmas eve. It seems as though Guy has some conflicts with that date as well. I could be available any morning next week, including Friday as Guy mentioned that as a possibility.

Also, Bob, I assume from you're previous post where you mentioned the book that you have, that it provides some detailed directions to the den site, or is descriptive enough that we can find it. As I mentioned before, I was unsuccessful in my one attempt at locating it. Is that the case?

I really want to join you guys on this trip but I understand if Christmas eve is the only option for the rest of you.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am going to have to pass on tomorrow. Too much going on here. If you plan it for next week I will try to make it.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
woodjin said:
Unfortunitly Christmas Eve will be very tough.
Also, Bob, I assume from you're previous post where you mentioned the book that you have, that it provides some detailed directions to the den site, or is descriptive enough that we can find it. As I mentioned before, I was unsuccessful in my one attempt at locating it. Is that the case?
I really want to join you guys on this trip but I understand if Christmas eve is the only option for the rest of you. Jeff

No problem guys, we can do next week. The weather is supposed to jump up to 50. As far as directions, no. Its not the directions that are clear, its the description of the den area proper:

"The den itself was reached by a narrow footpath that crossed some boggy ground densely grown with high ferns, and then started to rise through a stand of tall trees-mostly chestnut oaks....following the path partly up the rise, I turned to the right and began to descend rather sharply into the hollow-a boggy bowl at its brookside extremity-which is the den proper. There is a rather pronounced change of growth soon after the trail enters the den...." (pages 40-41 Snakes and Snakes Hunting).

There is another description which is almost a giveaway as far as the den description goes. I'll bring the book or make a copy of the page.......bob

PS: part of the den has also been destroyed. I want to go there not so much to look for a snake den, but to explore the area a bit. All the years I lived in Pres. Lakes I did not visit that area except one brief visit to someone elses camp out on the other side of the pond. And that was at night under the influence of alcohol.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That sounds good! I'm definately into checking out the whole area. It was my understanding that Ace Pittman nearly single handedly wiped out that den, but that the snake population has slowly regained some numbers. I was not aware that the den was partially destroyed, what a shame. This time of year is not the best for finding snakes, so I kind of figured it was trip geared more to the den and general area.

Looking forward to it. Let me know if there is anything I can bring.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Guy, what day can you do? Can you do tuesday?

Maybe, but Thursday looks best for me. Is is going to be warmer and my wife is going to Philly. I can take the day off and have 4 days off.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are quite a few in that area that I have skipped over because I am usually in a rush when I pass through that area. If I have time I will check them out.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
What say you 9:30 at the corner of Mt Misery road and route 70? Bring yourself a lunch and sturdy boots............bob

I will be there. Jessica is coming also since she is between semesters in school. Do you expect to do deep water walking? She just has the hiking boots she wears.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes, we will be up to the bottom of our butts in the water. :)

No, actually not Guy. We will be in the transition zone though, and at times I will be eager enough to step in the damp spots. I have not decided if my rubber knee highs will suffice. Depends on the weather. I suggest Jessica can stay parrallel to us but slightly higher (and dry).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Yes, we will be up to the bottom of our butts in the water. :)

No, actually not Guy. We will be in the transition zone though, and at times I will be eager enough to step in the damp spots. I have not decided if my rubber knee highs will suffice. Depends on the weather. I suggest Jessica can stay parrallel to us but slightly higher (and dry).

She has waders.

Guy