Ground Hogs

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Crazy heat? Notsure But I let the dogs out and they chased a Ground Hog up a tree. Ground hog went about 15feet in the air. Next thing I know he drops to the ground from 15feet, so dogs gave him a brief chase Which I called the dogs back. I walk over to the fence line and he is stuck in fence and dies as I went to see if he was ok. Never seen a Grounder die so fast . The dogs never touch him. Weird day

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I never saw a ground hog growing up in the Pines. It was said that the soil was too sandy for them to burrow. They've only arrived along with with all the new construction, which provided suitable man-made habitat to dig under. In 1999, I stated looking for cracks in earnest to prove that permafrost existed in the Pine Barrens recent past. My first good find was next to the Mizpah fire tower, which I dug out only to learn that a ground hog beat me to it! The fissure was filled with loose windblown sand when the Pine Barrens was frozen and desert-like. The surrounding ground had dense soil called fragipan, much too hard for the ground hog to burrow in. This crack formed within an earlier structure composed of an even earlier frost crack that deformed during a previous permafrost thaw episode. We experienced multiple episodes of permafrost coming and going. My trowel marks the outside border of the thaw (thermokarst) modified wedge's wall.

mark.jpg
A deformed Pleistocene sand-wedge cast (bright yellow sand) within an older structure, near Mizpah.​
S-M​
.​

Reactions: John and bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We have a squatter that is now showing up for lunch, and the Chipmunk army is massing for an attack; their VC like tunnels are everywhere.

156536471.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I had a groundhog living under my shed for a few years. My vegetable garden was his all-you-can-eat buffet. We fought a battle of wits for a while, during which my wife accused me of morphing into Bill Murray. Eventually I caught him in a Havahart trap and took him for a ride. She thought the litle varmint was cute and made me promise I wouldn’t stop for cannolis along the way. That’s silly. You can’t buy good cannolis where I live.

Reactions: joc

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Had a gull die in my hands once.It had a broken wing,I picked it up and was petting it wondering how I could help it when my brother said "Whats wrong with it" I looked down and it was plainly dead.I"ve been told I look mean but that was ridiculous.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I had a groundhog living under my shed for a few years. My vegetable garden was his all-you-can-eat buffet. We fought a battle of wits for a while, during which my wife accused me of morphing into Bill Murray. Eventually I caught him in a Havahart trap and took him for a ride. She thought the litle varmint was cute and made me promise I wouldn’t stop for cannolis along the way. That’s silly. You can’t buy good cannolis where I live.

I stopped planting vegetables and herbs after the hog had eaten all of the fruits of my labor for the second year in a row. It ate my flowers, too. I miss the tomatoes.