Hanover Furnace

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
I'm sorry for any cross-posting, but I wanted to let anyone who is interested know that I will be giving an on-site tour of the recent archaeological monitoring work done at Fort Dix-Hanover Dam, the area in which the now lost Hanover Furnace sat. I will bring along a sample of artifacts discovered during my work there (I am the archaeologist working on the site), and will be able to show people where features are. Be aware that the military knocked everything down when they acquired the land, and all remaining foundations are beneath the surface, so there is nothing architectural to see in situe. Various mill parts, cannonball, and miscellaneous artifacts from the site will be able to be viewed however.

The meeting time will be 9 a.m. on Saturday, March 19th. We will meet at the Wawa that is at the intersection of Routes 70 and 539. You will need to wear clothing that can get muddy/dirty, and boots suitable for an extremely muddy construction site. If you have a hardhat, please bring it as well, as this is an open construction area. There is no smoking on the site due to lead remediation issues.

Please contact me via private message or email with any questions and/or to let me know if you'd like to come along so that I can plan adequate vehicle space for everyone.

Thanks,
Ariadne

Ariadne,

I don't know how many may have contacted you via e-mail or PM but there are a few of us set to go. So far it is myself, Teegate and his daughter Jessica, BobM and Bruset. Again, I will have my suv and can take 4 passengers and BobM will have his truck. We all have boots but I am wondering if the hard hats are required. I don't have one and I'm sure no one else does either.

Steve

A thought on the meeting spot. How do you usually go to the site? Do you go through Browns Mill? It seems the meeting place you suggest is past where we are going. Teegate and I will be coming from your area. Bruset is coming from Brick Twp and BobM is the closest coming from Bamber. If you usually go through Browns Mill maybe you can pick a place to meet there.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
George said:
This old fellow will see you there.

George

George,

Please email me or PM me as soon as you can in regards to your letter to me today. The email address you are using on this site is not valid and I can't get back to you with my answer to your question. My email address is shown on this photo.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/24-1/IMG_5049.jpg

I will keep trying in the interim to contact you. If anyone else knows his correct email address, could you pass it along to me in a PM?

And just a reminder to all other members, you can update your email address by clicking on the "User Control Panel" button at the top of the page, and then choosing "Edit Profile". You will then see a place to change your email address.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
TeeGate said:
George,

Please email me or PM me as soon as you can in regards to your letter to me today. The email address you are using on this site is not valid and I can't get back to you with my answer to your question.
Guy

We have made contact.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It appears that some members who are going might not want to drive to the Wawa at 539 and 70. I really don't care so I will be there. But maybe Ariadne can mention where we have to enter the base for this visit so that some members can arrive there. We are entering the base aren't we? Why else would we need photo ID? She seems to have been quiet for a week so this is still up in the air for some folks.

And we really do not have a count on who actually is going, unless she does. So far I have it at:

Me (Guy)
Jessica ( Thanks Steve for reminding me )
Ben
Steve
Bob
George (he is meeting us at 9:20 at the location)
Jeff (leaving early)
Tom Gagliardi (is anyone coming with you?)

Anyone else?

Guy

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
TeeGate said:
It appears that some members who are going might not want to drive to the Wawa at 539 and 70. I really don't care so I will be there. But maybe Ariadne can mention where we have to enter the base for this visit so that some members can arrive there. We are entering the base aren't we? Why else would we need photo ID? She seems to have been quiet for a week so this is still up in the air for some folks.

And we really do not have a count on who actually is going, unless she does. So far I have it at:

Me (Guy)
Jessica ( Thanks Steve for reminding me )
Ben
Steve
Bob
George (he is meeting us at 9:20 at the location)
Jeff (leaving early)
Tom Gagliardi (is anyone coming with you?)

Anyone else?

Guy

Hey Guy, looks like it will be just me. Meg has to work unfortunately.
See you soon!
tg

Ariadne,

Well it looks like we have 8 people so far not counting you and anyone else you may be bringing. Has the group grown too large? I hope not. Also I did not hear back from you as to whether or not hard hats are required. I am of German decent so I probably don't need one. :D

Steve

kevineichman

Feb 2, 2004
Tabernacle, New Jersey
Hi everyone,

I'm one of those lurkers that have been checking out the site for a while and never really post. Just letting you know that I will be coming along on this trip, if ariadne has room for more, and look forward to meeting all of you. This was just too good of an oppurtunity to pass up.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
kevineichman said:
Hi everyone,

I'm one of those lurkers that have been checking out the site for a while and never really post. Just letting you know that I will be coming along on this trip, if ariadne has room for more, and look forward to meeting all of you. This was just too good of an oppurtunity to pass up.

As far as I am concerned there is always room for more. Welcome!

We have not heard from Ariadne in 5 days so we don't know what she thinks. I am getting concerned. She gave me her phone number so if we do not hear from her by Friday when I get home from work I will give her a call. If anyone else has her number and wants to call on Friday if she does not respond by then, I will hold off.

Guy