Hiking along Central Jersey line

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Note: In looking through some old threads, I found the disturbing story from 2009 about vandalized railroad trestles on the old Central Jersey line.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/vandalized-trestle.5278/

Many of the people responsible for remedying that situation are still here -- thanks to you all.

It's probably just as well I didn't consider the possibility of a crazy person sabotaging trestles before doing my own series of hikes on, along, or in close proximity to the tracks from late February to April. They ranged from Chatsworth to where the tracks hit the fields near Rt. 30. You regulars here know the area through the tracks like the back of your hands, but for me it was all new territory. I hope to see many more corners of the Pine Barrens down the line, but this was a nice appetizer for me.

Atsion RR trestle over Mullica_2023_02_28.png

Atsion trestle over Mullica, February 2023.

Batsto River trestle_2023_03_09.png

Looking north over the Batsto to trestle, March 2023.

Relaxing on Batsto River trestle_2023_03_09.png

Relaxing on Batsto trestle, March 2023. (It's not a good picture, I know, but it was a sweet moment, just looking toward the setting sun, blessed to be here.)

Sleeper Branch trestle_2023_03_12.png

Sleeper Branch trestle, March 2023.

Walkway out into bog_2023_03_12.png

Walkway out to water, west of Atsion along tracks, March 2023.

Albertson's Brook trestle_2023_03_16.png

Trestle over Albertson's Brook, March 2023.

E of Carranza along RR tracks_2023_04_03.png

East of Carranza along tracks, April 2023.

M1 Abrams accidental selfie 2023_03_09 .png

Well, if you were hoping for the best for last, it's not to be. I don't take many selfies, and this one was purely an accident. It happened the day of the Batsto trestle visit. There was some kind of notification, and when I pulled out my phone, I accidentally recorded this scary denizen of the Pine Barrens. You've seen enough of my pictures now to know I could never manage this intentionally. In future, I'll try to remember to always completely cover the lens with my fingers when I pull out the phone, just in case. :)

Shamongoloid

Mar 29, 2021
Shamong
Maybe it's just me but it looks intentional. It seemed weird that nothing else in the area is burned but the trestle, and it burned so bad it damaged the rails.

Maybe I'm just seeing ghosts where there are none.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I’d say intentionally, and looks like it was pretty hot. I find the sawed out section after the fire interesting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Someone may have wanted the vehicle or pedestrian traffic to stop crossing it.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I was told last summer that someone burnt that trestle, although they told me that I was the Clark Branch. A couple months ago we made it out to confirm. The Clark branch is ok but we walked up on that as well. It’s definitely arson there was no forest fire there recently. Also it looks like some one started taking a chainsaw to it after it burnt as well. Fleming Pike was blocked by several trees for a couple years. Somebody also cleared the road all the way to the bridge.
5D51FEB6-ABD2-4E4D-A680-51E206F44097.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if anyone saw it? It might have burned itself out.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I wonder if anyone saw it? It might have burned itself out.
I heard about it back in the summer. I assumed it was known about by the time we went. I also figured that the reason the road going back to it was opened up possibly to get equipment back there to put it out. I’m not exactly sure when it burnt.