Hiking the Great Swamp Again

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think you are reading to much into this Bob. I am saying that they have been altered by humans changing them from the way they were in the 1800's. There is hardly any location in that area that has not been altered in the recent past.

Guy

I think my response was in line with the way you phrased the question. I don't think I was reading too much into it at all.

Bob ends this one with a :)

All,

Here is the survey of the most northern property with the circled yellow area where the incised LH stone was located at one time. Notice the yellow box saying “Stone inscribed LH In a Cripple.” The center area between those two tracts was owned by Joseph Wharton. If you look closely in pencil is written “State acquisition number 725 10/9/1999.” This remote area eluded Joseph Wharton and just recently was purchased by the state. Imagine someone owning that property until recently. BTW, the line running through them is the Hammonton/Mullica Township line.

LH.jpg

Guy

Guy:

Are you sure about the year cited above? In examining the survey map you placed in your message, the date looks a lot more like 1949, not 1999. What is the date of the survey itself? I don’t recall hearing anything about the state acquiring land there in 1999, but I could be wrong.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy:

Are you sure about the year cited above? In examining the survey map you placed in your message, the date looks a lot more like 1949, not 1999. What is the date of the survey itself? I don’t recall hearing anything about the state acquiring land there in 1999, but I could be wrong.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

It was 1999. I know the person who wrote that.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I'm sorry Guy, I am having a little trouble understanding the question. Are you saying that you agree that savannas (as we know them) were created by altering natural savannas with dynamite for cranberry production?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm sorry Guy, I am having a little trouble understanding the question. Are you saying that you agree that savannas (as we know them) were created by altering natural savannas with dynamite for cranberry production?

Jeff

I am saying that the savannas as we know them have been altered by cranberry growers. I am not saying they made them.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gabe,

Lets stop the discussion and go there. You should have an email from me.

Guy

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
guy. when are you avail to hike the great swamp ? I have a lot to see while my wrist is on the "disabled list".

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
Excellent post, however I am dismayed at the lack of recovery from the clearcut :-O how did that not rebound back into a forest :-(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Excellent post, however I am dismayed at the lack of recovery from the clearcut :-O how did that not rebound back into a forest :-(

I have a newspaper article that was reprinted in the Batsto Citizen Gazette where it was mentioned that they were to plant cedar trees to replace the ones burned in the fire and then cut down. That obviously did not happen in that area. And the state only received $54,000 for all that wood. And there is wood laying all over that appears to have been viable back then.

Someone dropped the ball on that one for sure. If they had replanted the trees would have been well on their way to a reasonable height by now.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
guy. when are you avail to hike the great swamp ? I have a lot to see while my wrist is on the "disabled list".

I have quite a bit going on at the moment and am not really sure when I can get there. I have great ideas of doing things that are more than I can handle.

Guy

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
You guys are doing a great job.I feel like I made the hike with you.The pictures are worth a thousand words.My 2 total knee replacements will keep me reading about your trips into the Great Swamp.I have been a lover of the Pinelands since 1942.The only time the 2 tracker sand trails were used ,was during the six day deer season.If you wanted to take a ride on the back roads at any other time of the year,you probably were the first to put tire tracks on that trail in months.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You guys are doing a great job.I feel like I made the hike with you.The pictures are worth a thousand words.My 2 total knee replacements will keep me reading about your trips into the Great Swamp.I have been a lover of the Pinelands since 1942.The only time the 2 tracker sand trails were used ,was during the six day deer season.If you wanted to take a ride on the back roads at any other time of the year,you probably were the first to put tire tracks on that trail in months.

Great to see you posting there again young fellow!!
Bill, there is a lively exchange going on right now in the Recreation forum about off roading in the pines.
Perhaps you can enlighten some of the people with your tales of tooling through the pines on Harleys, Triumphs and BSA's back in the 40's.
Scott

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
after seeing that track I give a swamp bow to the swamp masters.i crossed and recrossed the swamp at the north end and it took it out of me and my tack was a lot shorter.Shame you couldn't find the stone,maybe next fire will uncover it:)
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
you know after looking at the aerial again I've had to of passed within 50 yards of that stone on several occasions.last time i was in those strip meadows was january.they were mostly dry except over by the pond along the swamp border.kept crashing through the ice there.that i day i followed the medders from the aforementioned pond south all the way to the swamp monster and then back up the dirt road to the car.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
after seeing that track I give a swamp bow to the swamp masters.i crossed and recrossed the swamp at the north end and it took it out of me and my tack was a lot shorter.Shame you couldn't find the stone,maybe next fire will uncover it:)
Al

That is quite a compliment coming from you Al. I appreciate that! I will get back there one day, it just hasn't worked out for me to get back since then. Too many places to visit, and only one life to do it in :)

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
how was the swamp down at the south end?a lot of cedar strip blowdowns like up north?one area i crossed was nice semi open swamp but most of it was the most dangerous stretch of gorund i ever crossed.been in worse briars,the swamp had none but just for leg breaking potential nothing beats the Great Swamp.been wanting to cross about where you guys did but never got around to it yet.It's the only swamp I was afraid to tackle alone.I conned a friend of mine into doing it with me.he still speaks of it in awe-)
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
how was the swamp down at the south end?a lot of cedar strip blowdowns like up north?l

how was the swamp down at the south end?a lot of cedar strip blowdowns like up north?

It is best to not go alone as you have decided. Too many things can go wrong. The southern portion was no bad, but you have to remember on the left side of the tracks on the way back we followed the road. I was having odd cramps in my legs causing sever pain. I had to shuffle when I walked and the road made it so much easier. I was with Rob from work and he is a health nut, with a heart rate at rest in the low 40's. Nothing tires him out and he just kept going, so I had to move along while in pain.

Guy