Iona Gun Club

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Does anyone have any info they could pass along concerning the Iona Gun Club? This club is located on private property about one mile from Oswego Lake and is no longer in use as a hunting club. Any info you could pass along would be appreciated. Again, the location and the roads leading to it are private and it is not wise or legal to go there.

iona.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well I don't have any info, but I'll bet I know what may have sparked your interest in this place... :)

I may take that bet because I don't know what that may be.

Guy

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
Guy,

Not sure if you have stumbled across this listing of gun clubs in the pines dated Year 2000 that shows Iona as "active". With your vast knowledge I'd be shocked if you had not but passing it along just in case.

http://www.bassriver-nj.org/pdf/h-article-bassrivergunclubslist.pdf

In seeking more information about the author (unsuccesful) I came across this link that has a photo of the author's father. In general a very interesting site others may enjoy browsing. Lots of photos and writings from locals down in the Pines.

http://bassriverhistory.blogspot.com/2008/12/some-thoughts-about-pineys-part-2.html

Bill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

Not sure if you have stumbled across this listing of gun clubs in the pines dated Year 2000 that shows Iona as "active". With your vast knowledge I'd be shocked if you had not but passing it along just in case.

http://www.bassriver-nj.org/pdf/h-article-bassrivergunclubslist.pdf

In seeking more information about the author (unsuccesful) I came across this link that has a photo of the author's father. In general a very interesting site others may enjoy browsing. Lots of photos and writings from locals down in the Pines.

http://bassriverhistory.blogspot.com/2008/12/some-thoughts-about-pineys-part-2.html

Bill

Well, be shocked because I had not viewed that site. Thanks for the info. Now I have to check to see if the club now has a new location and this may be the old one or it was purchased by the new owners after 2000.

Also, I did not even think of it; however, Boyd mentioned when they named it they may have been thinking "I own a gun club" and named it Iona.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry, I thought perhaps you noticed this road while looking at my map:

iona.jpg

That road caught my eye when I drove around testing the map.

It was after I read your PM that I realized what you were referring to. Sorry.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been going around photographing the clubs when I have time and plotting their GPS coordinates. I usually do that in the summer months when the ticks are most severe and I have to get my "fix" exploring the pines. This time of year there is too many other things to do.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I found it:)

yes that definitely is private. what I'd like to know has anyone been to either one of these places.i don't know what they are but the first one appears abandoned.

39° 43' 41.62

74° 26' 22.4

and the other one looks used.
39° 40' 22.9

74° 22' 15.44

this one looks driveable too.the first one i know the roads are gated.
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I found it:)

yes that definitely is private. what I'd like to know has anyone been to either one of these places.i don't know what they are but the first one appears abandoned.

39° 43' 41.62

74° 26' 22.4

Al, that is on Warren Grove Range property. I was there during a tour, but I never asked them about it. I'm not sure it is used for hunters...probably not anymore. Here is the boundary:

watermark.php

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
I'm reminded of Iona Lake in Gloucester County--I've seen signs for it, but I've never been there. Is there a town called Iona there?

Guy, a friend of mine assures me that that piece of property has been under current ownership for at least twenty years.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i was recently on that property bob.their is a small patch of penn state forest land shown on the topo and i located several benchmarks marking the property and they looked virtually new along with some benchmarks across allens road that belonged to wharton state forest.these looked much older.did the bombing range buy the state propert or do they believe that since they are military they can just take over whatever they will,no payment necessary?I read some signs threatening my life.i am still here:)
Alfie

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm reminded of Iona Lake in Gloucester County--I've seen signs for it, but I've never been there. Is there a town called Iona there?

Guy, a friend of mine assures me that that piece of property has been under current ownership for at least twenty years.

Thank you. The input here has been light so there must not be too much known about it other than what you have informed us of.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
do they believe that since they are military they can just take over whatever they will,no payment necessary?I read some signs threatening my life.i am still here:) Alfie

Al, I think they have been there a long time, and that they carry a lot of weight. I love their property. In my opinion, that is Prime Pine Barren Land, really the showcase of all we have to offer. I have been along a feeder stream to the Oswego that comes off their property, and it is just lovely back there...just absolutely lovely. In another area in the uplands, they have the shortest pygmy pines I have ever seen, there is one section where they do not even come to your knee. As we discussed before...its kind of good to have them there keeping people off, as long as they do not expand.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bob,
I love pygmy pines.the lowest sections i know of are just off bombing range property on greenwood land.The pines I know are about hip high.Is your spot secret or can you swing me some numbers:)I love governors pond.It's ashame it's right next to the road.
I like that whole area out there,like you said hardly anyone goes out there because their scared of the signs I believe.With the spy equipment the government has now maybe i should be too:)I see some ponds on their property just below oswego that appear to be in pygmies.Have wanted to get into that area but haven't made it yet.I have followed the oswego up to sims place in a kayak and did some bushwacking immediately south of the river but didn't go far off it.
Al